First Attempt at Long Exposure

rsidhu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First time poster, long time lurker. Here's my first 'real' attempt at long exposure photography. I chose an interest cityscape as my subject.

I like the way it turned out and I'm always looking for ways to improve. C & C are welcome. :thumbup: Photoshop post processing to rotate, crop and white balance correction.

Any suggestions on improving the night sky (other than shooting at dusk or shortly after sunset)? This shot was taken around 10pm. Any Photoshop tips?

$7556703106_d37c63f243_b.jpg

Another shot (not long exposure). The towers are interesting...

$7566159782_218c4d7c5c_b.jpg

Last edited:
As far as PP tips, always shoot RAW and bracket if you can. Nighttime HDR photos can look really great if they're not over-lightened (results in a grainy look)
Also, it looks like there are some reflections in the window that you shot through. Use a CPL (polarized filter) to eliminate, or at least reduce that type of glare.
Use a remote shutter release or delayed shutter

I haven't gotten too many great nighttime shots around here. There aren't enough city lights for the sort of thing you did, and I can't get my exposure long enough for star tracking (like 10, 20, 30 mins or an hour)

But the shot looks great from a technical aspect, minus the glare. I'd choose a more interesting subject, or some focus illusion, or good leading lines that you can't always get in the day. IOW, use the night, the tripod, and the bracketing to your advantage!
Keep up the work

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't shooting through a window and I had an unobstructed view. I think my mistake here was leaving the UV filter on the lens prior to taking the shot.

I used the remote cable shutter release (which helped keep the photograph as sharp as possible).

Most reactions

Back