First attempt at Macro

gablett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had a D5100 for about a week now with a Tamron 90mm Macro lens. Just trying to get the hang of things. Shooting in RAW and balancing in Lightroom 5 since with the subject matter the camera never gets the white balance right. Heres a few samples, feel free to give me any input, trying to improve.

$DSC_0013_zpsa78cbd39.jpg
$DSC_0018_zps0fc5e6fd.jpg
$DSC_0054_zps08dc8a63.jpg
$DSC_0066_zpsccbb93c5.jpg
$DSC_0072_zpscb48f56e.jpg
$DSC_0080_zpse91b7460.jpg
$DSC_0103_zpsc06b9744.jpg
$DSC_0128_zps71549182.jpg
$DSC_0141_zpse09fd5d6.jpg

Attachments

• $DSC_0168_zps1669c447.jpg
    $DSC_0168_zps1669c447.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 103
Man, I'm loving the coloration in some of those. Gorgeous.

#3 is definitely my favorite.

Not bad! If you get a soft rubber lens hood you can put against the glass, and have the ability to use off camera flash... you can actually light this with diffused flash, and really make it pop!

I have something that will work for that purpose. These were taken with just the LED aquarium lights. What would be the advantage of using a flash?

I've had a D5100 for about a week now with a Tamron 90mm Macro lens. Just trying to get the hang of things. Shooting in RAW and balancing in Lightroom 5 since with the subject matter the camera never gets the white balance right. Heres a few samples, feel free to give me any input, trying to improve.

If you still have the manual for your aquarium lights, or a manufacturer's web site, you should be able to find the color temperature of the aquarium light. If you can find that use it to set your white balance and it should be very close.

I have something that will work for that purpose. These were taken with just the LED aquarium lights. What would be the advantage of using a flash?
The advantage is controlling the light instead of just hunting for things that happen to already look cool. You can MAKE it look cool (or just more evenly lit or more DOF or whatever else you may desire) where and when it doesn't, or in more varied ways even when it does.

Most reactions

Back