First attempt at night shot. Need some help.

chiefpackman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was down in Busan, South Korea this weekend and decided to try and get a shot of the bridge at night. I dont really know what I'm doing. I looked up some info on cityscapes but I'm still confused. I used a tripod but I think I need a better one. How do you keep iso low and still get good results? How do you guys set up night shots?

What was the exif on this one? I usually start at f/8 or wider and 20 seonds to see how the image will turn out. Then I might play with the exposure. You have to be in manual mode for that, though. Here is a bridge shot I did that showcases my example.

Bosphorus Bridge Red by batmura

Thanks. I like your shot batmura. Noob question...what is exif? Thanks shefjr Ill check those out.

Thanks. I like your shot batmura. Noob question...what is exif? Thanks shefjr Ill check those out.
EXIF is how long the exposure was, what aperture you used, and the focal length of your shot. For example, f/8, 20 seconds, 70mm.

iso 800 55mm f/8 1.6 sec. I was getting to much camera shake with the wind/crapy tripod so i tried to compensate with a short exposure. I need to get better equipment but I just started out and wanted to get a good understanding of concepts before investing a lot into it.

EXIF info can be recorded by the camera and read in website like this one (only it it was in fact recorded in the photo at first):
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

See this one I took in the city of São Paulo/Brazil:

2013-11-09_sao-paulo-sp-brasil_01.jpg

EXIF data: Nikon D5200, 8 mm f/3.5 lens, at 8mm, Manual exposure, 30 sec, f/11, ISO 100, Compensation: -8/3

Or this one:

2013-11-10_sao-paulo-04.jpg

EXIF data: Nikon D5200, 70-300mm f/4-5.3 lens, at 70mm, Manual exposure, 30 sec, f/14, ISO 100, Compensation: -8/3

The picture in terms of sharpness is a bit off, but I'm assuming that's because of the camera shake like you mentioned. But it's definitely not 'that bad'.

The only suggestion I have is with regards to composition. Try cropping it in a bit tighter as theres too much negative space above the bridge with a bland sky.

It would've worked well of the sky was full of clouds, but bit this way.

Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back