What's new

First attempt at night skyline

mommy-medic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 24, 2010
Messages
456
Reaction score
113
Location
Atlanta
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me preemptively say I am WAY out of my comfort zone here. I joined a local photography club and each month they have little contests. The theme due in April is "skylines". I live in metro Atlanta, but figured there would be a ton of that, so I drove 2 hours north to Chattanooga. It sits on the Tennessee river and I spent the afternoon looking for the best vantage point. As much as I would have loved to have gotten a tad higher, this proved the best unobstructed view of the city.

I've never really shot at night. Never used my tripod unless I was just playing around, and city skylines aren't something I would shoot on my own. I took my 10 year old daughter and let her use my old D40- she actually got some good shots too, albeit auto minus flash- she had fun tagging along.

ok, on to the end result. Flickr has not maintained the greatest quality in hosting so take that for what it is.


6991760161_d988c364f6_b.jpg



and the longer crop




6845633280_6be902ae11_b.jpg
 
Looks fine to me.... I do prefer the first crop...
 
Hi,

These look great to me & I too prefer the first crop.

Seems like the 2 hour drive paid off!

Mark
 
Wow! Thank you so much everyone! I was honestly expecting some harsh feedback (but that's ok, it's how we learn and grow). I am pretty pleased with the results, but do see some nit-picky stuff. The finished image is about 12 shots put together, and I see some fuzziness/lack of clarity towards the left side at the distant end of that blue bridge- the building is a little blurry. All in all I'm really happy with it though- I was on a wooden dock-type projection on the opposite shore and the slightest breeze or movement made my tripod and camera waver. I used the timer (I don't have a remote shutter release yet) with a ten second delay- so I could push the button and let it stop wobbling. Nomatter how gentle I was it wanted to wiggle.

For the contest, the biggest size allowable is 16x20. The smaller crop (when reduced to 20" wide) is 5" tall, the wider shot is only 3" tall at 20" wide so I'll have to submit the narrow version. However, I think I may print the wide one in a larger size for my home. :)

Thank you again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom