First attempt at Panoramic.

KevinPutman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out to the lake and attempted to do a panoramic picture, using my camera's "Stitch Assist" tool. It drives me crazy because it wouldn't let me adjust the setting. Ughhhh.
I don't know if the graininess in these pics is from the ISO being too high (which I doubt?), the cheap ND filter I was using (is that a possibility?), or some other reason.
Bleeeeh.

C&C?
Full size
xbefwo.jpg

Then this one.
rawrs.jpg

What is this stupid graininess!

Why are you using an ND filter for such a dark subject?

The graininess may just be a function of the stitching program. Maybe the final image size needs to be increased before stitching.

Why are you using an ND filter for such a dark subject?

The graininess may just be a function of the stitching program. Maybe the final image size needs to be increased before stitching.

Because my camera was still trying to overexpose the entire sky using longer exposure times.
Earlier today, I was trying to shoot something outside during bright sunlight, and anytime my exposure time went higher than 1/4 the entire screen would go white with overexposure, this was using a ND8 filter.

My camera bothers me.
And I'm not even sure how to change anything with the stitching. I was trying to get the sunset before it was gone, so was somewhat rushed when I decided, "Hey I think I'll try this!"

I've never used a camera that had an internal stitching mode. I guess I'm old-skool.... take a bunch of shots and stitch them on a computer. This allows my to adjust the lighting, color, contrast, etc. during post and not have to deal with NDs.

I've never used a camera that had an internal stitching mode. I guess I'm old-skool.... take a bunch of shots and stitch them on a computer. This allows my to adjust the lighting, color, contrast, etc. during post and not have to deal with NDs.

Yeah that's what I should have done, at least that way the graininess wouldn't have been so apparent. Would have turned out much better.
Oh well!

How long was the exposure for?

On the panoramic, 1/8. On the others, 1/1 (thats what the exif says.)
But earlier in the day it was overexposing on anything over 1/8, even with a ND8 on.

I was just thinking about the noise, you usually get some with longer exposures. It's probably just because they are so dark. Not sure why your camera would be over exposing though, what are you shooting with? Oh and what was your ISO set to? Do you have it set to Auto?

Canon Powershot S5 IS,
ISO for the ones earlier today that were super overexposed was on 80.

for the pan, 1/8 200 (Camera was set on Auto with the Stitch assist tool i used), 2.8.

Why are you so concerned with these long exposure times?

If you want longer exposure, why is your iso so high you get grain?

Why are you so concerned with these long exposure times?

If you want longer exposure, why is your iso so high you get grain?
I don't set my ISO high.

I won't set it anything over 200 to shoot with. Unless it's extremely dark.
For the Longer over exposure times, I was attempting to Pan on some cars while riding down the highway, hahaha. Exposure even at 1/8 with the ND8, ISO on 80 was just giving me a solid white screen.

My camera makes no sense!

ISO 80
1/6
ND8

and it over exposes sooo badly I can't even take a shot.

Dude. Put your f stop at like f/16 and you wont even need that filter...

Well, maybe you will, but I cannot believe you are complaining about not being able to shoot long enough exposures, yet you shoot just about wide open.

Sorry I'm a retard, went totally backwards on that one.
The pictures I posted up there ^^ was 2.7. Shooting in Shutter Speed priority, so it set that automatically. Same with the panoramic. So I couldn't help it, sadly.

Also, my Aperture only goes up to 8.
But the ones I was taking outside getting the white screen was at F8.

Sorry I'm completely out of it, and should probably get some sleep before I post anymore.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back