First attempt at portraits

farmerj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My girlfriend asked me to take some pictures this week. This is my first attempt at "people" pictures for framing or otherwise.

Picassa isn't always nice to me, so I posted it two ways if the full size should happen to stop working, the smaller one is linked directly.

kendi.jpg

i would brighten it up a bit. other than tht it looks really good!

Either the exposure or the PP is wrong. It is too dark.

But what bothers me most is the way she is holding herself. Most of us when facing a camera are not at ease and part of your job as the photographer is to put your subject at ease so that he/she will have a natural pose.

Now, different photogs will have different ways of dealing with that. Mine was to have the camera on a tripod so that I was never hiding behind it while shooting. I compose my shot and, in that case, a little wide to allow for movement by the subject, and then I talk to them and shoot at the same time. Remote.

It also helps in that you can go to them to rearrange the hair that has fallen across their face, or some other such thing, and as soon as you step back you can start shooting again.

That's my way. It may not work for you so, you need to find the way that works for you.

I agree with cloudwalker and will add that you cut her hands off at the wrists. It is distracting and leads the eye out of the photograph.

no I am not making excuses. This was a candid shot after I had changed lenses.

Here is the "original" unprocessed image. I was supposed to be in it. EXIF information is included with this image.

The "darkness" is coming from trying to tone down the shine off her cheeks. Suggestions on that would be appreciated.

kendi_original.jpg

Softer light reduces and can even eliminate skin shine.

the original is much better. While it's best to avoid shine at all, if it ends up that way you can try to tweak it in photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back