mrcrassic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, all!

I attempted at shooting my own self-portraits (seriously) for the first time last night. Would it be possible for you guys to have a look at the photos I've uploaded so far and critique? It's located on my Facebook here: Carlos Núñez's Photos - Self. | Facebook

A couple of notes to observe here:

1) I have more photos that are pending edits. I will upload them tomorrow afternoon. This is just a feeler (I really wanted to get something up.)

2) I shot this in very limited conditions. I had a really limited space available to me (my apartment is shared), so not a lot of room to move or get "creative."

3) My lighting was very limited. I didn't have umbrellas or any other equipment to give off evenly dispersed lighting, so I worked off of ceiling light (which was "naturally" colored, i.e. light yellow).

4) For reference, the equipment I used was:

• Canon 20D with Wireless Remote (I photoshopped the remote out of one of the pictures; y'all should be able to guess which one)
  • Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark II Lens (the oblig)
  • Canon 28mm-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens
  • Prof Kobre's Lightscoop, Natural Tint
  • A tripod

NOTE: I was actually really afraid that the Lightscoop was a cheap gimmick, but it really does make the fill flash much, much more effective at controlling fill light. It's obviously not as awesome as a speedlite, but it works really well for ghetto photoshoots like mine. :-D (A speedlite is on the way, though.)

Thanks for reading!

Your b&w is prob the one I'd choose out of the three. The one where ur sitting down with your knee up looks like a deer in front of the headlights, and the other has orange light washing away your facial features, ewww.

bump? (Thanks, ocular. I'm actually re-editing that photo tomorrow when I have more time to concentrate on it. I really liked that shot.)

If the photo's aren't linked, alot won't comment. I personally am not headed to facebook to see them.

when shooting portrature, shoot with a minimum of 2 lights. they dont need to be sudio lights, any light will do, just correct for white balance.
Try having the lights high to mimic the sun, but not directly overhead.
One light should be stronger than the other, the fill light (not so strong one) should be filling in detail around the areas which are not directly lit by your main light.
To get rid of the skin reflection try using the healing brush on "darker" blend mode in photoshop.

Your best work IMO is the black and white, however lighting needs to improve before it becomes anything more than a snapshot.

Just my 2c :)

If the photo's aren't linked, alot won't comment. I personally am not headed to facebook to see them.

wow that's mean :-/

anyways i personally think the b and w one is the best! the secondo one is nice too .. you have a nice smile but i don't like the reflections on your glasses. the third one is too orange and i don't like the pose

This are really cool as your first self-portraits! If you PP them to remove the glare, these will look awesome! I also prefer the B&W photo. Just as a friendly note- People without Facebook visiting your link won't be able to see your photos. Try uploading them to someplace like Flickr.

FYI, this site encourages linking photos rather then just posting them. As a fellow Pact supporter, I can say your're doing a swell job of supporting it.

well then this site is not helping itself to serve its main purpose
and i dont remember seeing any of that in the PACT

FYI, this site encourages linking photos rather then just posting them. As a fellow Pact supporter, I can say your're doing a swell job of supporting it.

well then this site is not helping itself to serve its main purpose
and i dont remember seeing any of that in the PACT

Well, in my opinion one of points of The Pact simply that you shouldn't be jerk. Don't know if Annamas's comment was meant to sound that harsh, but lets not start a flame war. My apology's for hijacking your thread, Mrcrassic.

This site most definitely does NOT encourage linking instead of posting the photo. I don't know where you got that. I for one, (as well as a bunch of others that aren't commenting) am not going to take the time to click a link to view photos. If you want comments or c&c, then post the photos in the thread. There are way too many threads on here in a day to be wasting my time clicking an off site link everytime I go to view a photo.

Harsh or not, that's the reality.

if ya disagree, thats all good. just keep posting up those links if it tickles your fancy. :)

i'm not saying posting links is the way to go, i'm just saying some of your reactions were unnecessary and don't exactly help maintain a friendly atmosphere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back