First attempt at studio focus stacking

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I learned something lately called focus stacking. Im sure everyone knows about it but me but I did my first try at it so Im wondering what you all think on how it came out!
I shot a strawberry at f/2.8 up close with my macro. I did 7 shots front to back and combined for full focus.
4664830486_2f128e3f0b_b.jpg

These are common shots i know. I think someone did it last week lol. but i have been practicing so I thought I would throw in my "sex in the city" shots lol. not as sharp as I would have liked but its what i used the berry for...

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

For stacking the focus on the berry you didn't manage to get much in sharp focus.

hmm maybe my uv was foggy not sure. I used combineZM to do it. Its a freebee
Thanks tho!

Thanks for the feedback. It was fun doing 2-3 shots and I enjoy that type of thing. If there is anyone to give tips one the stacking I'm open. I really know nothing about it and just tipping the iceburg I'm sure, all I did was combine. There are a lot of options in the program that I know nothing about. Time to learn lol.

#1 is gross. Its like "too much info", "what has been seen can not be unseen" lol.
#2 & 3 are Awesome.

I really like these photos. The first one is a really interesting image. What would be the advantage of using a technique like this as opposed to a larger DOF?

I really like these photos. The first one is a really interesting image. What would be the advantage of using a technique like this as opposed to a larger DOF?

DOF with macro is usually very very narrow, like a couple of millimetres when you are really tight as in the strawberry shot. Smaller aperture can help to a degree but you will lose a fair bit of sharpness, and the DOF will still be relatively shallow.

By Focus stacking, you can use an aperture that suits the lighting without losing your sweetspot for sharpness.

Thats how I see it being an advantage, have to try it myself.

DOF with macro is usually very very narrow, like a couple of millimetres when you are really tight as in the strawberry shot. Smaller aperture can help to a degree but you will lose a fair bit of sharpness, and the DOF will still be relatively shallow.

By Focus stacking, you can use an aperture that suits the lighting without losing your sweetspot for sharpness.

Very cool. I definitely want to give this a try when I pony up enough cash to grab a macro lens.

:thumbup:
thats it. from what i have been reading it lets you pick selective dof and the placement of the focal points as you wish them. lots of control using very simple pp. wich is more then you can do with stopping down. it should really help in macro shots. tho im new to all of this myself.

that was a really good strawberry btw

Very cool. I definitely want to give this a try when I pony up enough cash to grab a macro lens.

Why not try it with your 18 - 55? I have done plenty of work in the stock photography world with that lens and had some amazing results.

you can do it with any lens. just more helpful when you have a very shallow dof.

Most reactions

Back