first attempt at water drops

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son took a nap so I gave water drops a shot... crude setup. 2 sb600's at 1/100(left0 and 1/128(right) and a wine glass.

5466823961_3ebd9d2473_b.jpg

D90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1 second
f32
Iso200

5466822249_1ea85f312b_b.jpg

D90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/30
f22
Iso200

Thanks for looking and sharing. All C&C is welcome and apreciated.

thanks
jake

#1 OK so, IMO the brightness in the first one is caused due to the fact that your using a wine glass which is really reflective once the flash hits it which is kind of distracting and taking away from the water drops.

#2 your shots are not centered , and you can see the outer rim of the wine glass, next time try coming in closer so you cannot see the outer rim and are centered with your subject. You can use much faster sync speed than 1/30

#3 Bring your ISO 2 steps down so you get less noise. And you only really need one flash, 2 is not necessary.

#4 Try adding some color to the droplets, put a colorful background and aim the flash at it, you will achieve nice and appealing results this way.

You can refer to my setup to help you out next time you shoot water droplets http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/234961-water-droplets-2nd-take.html

Thanks for the tips. This was very impromptu. Son laid down for his nap. Saw wine glass in sink. The slow shutters peeds were a test that you can freeze motion with long shutter speeds and short duration of flash. I used two flashes because I had just picked up the second sb600 the night prior!

I kinda liked how the wine glass gave some prizm like effects to the water, but you are right it is distracting to the subject. My uncropped originals are centered, i cropped them off center. I think the noise is from messing with contrast and sharpness in View nx2. I usually don't use Lo1 iso because I thought it causes a loss in dynamic range.

thanks again for the input. I really want to try this witha an actual setup not just some glass in a sink.

thanks,
jake

Most reactions

Back