First attempt - C&C please

chandana_rahul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got my first DSLR. Canon EOS 500D with 18-55mm kit lens. I'm still studying the concepts of photography and The following are results of my first attempt. Please comment and thanks for any comments and suggestions

1. ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds FNumber - 5.60 ISOSpeedRatings – 100 FocalLength - 55 mm
IMG_0443.jpg

2. ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds FNumber - 5.60 ISOSpeedRatings - 100
IMG_0178.jpg

3. ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds FNumber - 5.60 ISOSpeedRatings - 400
1.jpg

4. ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds FNumber - 5.60 ISOSpeedRatings – 400
IMG_0171.jpg

#1 - Millipede seems out of focus or very soft. Interesting shot...think about getting a macro lens sometime in the future. Might want to use ISO 200 next time to get the shutter speed up a little more.

#2 - The image seems to be suffering from slight camera shake. Using ISO 200 would allow you to use a faster shutter speed. Centering of the flower in the frame makes the photo look static and boring.

#3 - The exif data say the flash fired...the shadow seems to suggest the flash was camera right. Was the popup flash used or did you use a Speedlite? ISO 400 isn't necessary when you're using flash. Use ISO 100 next time.

#4 - Neat felt flower. The flower could have been higher in the frame. Seems to have some noise in the background.

You might want to move off the Basic Shooting Modes (picture icons on the Mode Dial) and start using the Creative Shooting Modes (P, Tv, Av or M) and take control of the camera a little more.

Thanks Samanax for taking time to comment on the photos and for suggestions.
#1 - Millipede seems out of focus or very soft. Interesting shot...think about getting a macro lens sometime in the future. Might want to use ISO 200 next time to get the shutter speed up a little more.
In the first one, I couldn’t make up my mind whether the foreground should also be focussed along with the millipede or not. Any suggestions there?
#2 - The image seems to be suffering from slight camera shake. Using ISO 200 would allow you to use a faster shutter speed. Centering of the flower in the frame makes the photo look static and boring.

There’s was wind and the plant was shaking a bit when I got this one.
#3 - The exif data say the flash fired...the shadow seems to suggest the flash was camera right. Was the popup flash used or did you use a Speedlite? ISO 400 isn't necessary when you're using flash. Use ISO 100 next time.
4 - Neat felt flower. The flower could have been higher in the frame. Seems to have some noise in the background.
It was the camera flash. I currently have only 500D with the Kit lens.
Both the photos have same colour wall as the background. In the 4th Photo, the noise seems to be because of too high an ISO at 400. I’m confused about the background colour showing up differently in both. I’m trying to understand the impact of ISO values on this through some more trials. But if you have any suggestions, I’d appreciate it.
You might want to move off the Basic Shooting Modes (picture icons on the Mode Dial) and start using the Creative Shooting Modes (P, Tv, Av or M) and take control of the camera a little more.
I’m learning, rather slowly I’d say, by reading and trying these modes. Hopefully I’ll have something good to post here soon.

Most reactions

Back