First Attempt On HDR, C&C please.

eddlum25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt on HDR. All comments welcome.

5386619210_0ea67b6894_b.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Howdy!

I'm not seeing a lot of "High Dynamic Range" in anything but your grass, which just looks oversaturated compared to the rest of the image. I love the idea here, maybe because I'm a sucker for a good hill fort. How many frames are you using here and what's your exposure span? Seems like your lighting was a bit flat and it sort of sucked the life out of this shot...

I'm not really fond of the border either, but mileage varies there.

I just whipped your image through photomatix and threw a basic tone compression at it, then tweaked the contrast and saturation a bit. This was 30 seconds of work just to illustrate some of the things you can do with tone mapping images, and obviously this isn't a true HDR since I only had one image to work with. I blew it out with the processing but I think you can see how much more there is in your image to bring out from my example.

Keep trying, the more you do it, the better you get. :)

1167231706_7by7k-L.jpg

Thank you for your valuable advise sixdaemonbag. Points are taken on board and will try to saturate it more next time I do it again.

For this image I used 5 images with exposure ranging from +2 to -2.

BTW, your gallery is amazing :)

I think some people don't know what HDR is, and they just try to replicate what they see other people posting called HDR

With that said... Awesome picture! I like it =)

Well, I'm sure eddlum25 would love to see your alternative workups of his image then, since my quick hack is so distasteful. As someone who "doesn't know what HDR is", I'm pretty curious myself to see what you come up with.

Well If I was a hack Id try to fix someone else's work rather than working with the original files........Id be more than happy if he wishes to send me the 5 shots.

I just find it funny that those that tend to "fix" everyone elses work tends to not have one pic in their own gallery

Here is one of my HDR attempts -1 0 +1

aaDSC05922.jpg

Last edited:
I like this shot but the only thing bothering me would be that its not straight.
Straighten it up a little and i think it will look a lot better.

BTW, pretty good for a First Time HDR :thumbup:

Good use of HDR, i hate hdr that is overly done. Yours looks pretty realistic

You shouldn't "see the HDR" you should see a nicely balanced image in terms of tones, not crazy colors. HDR works quite well in b&w as well. I think you did a nice job. I do not care for the saturated edit, but some levels/contrast and maybe just a hint of vibrance added would go a long way I think.

Sixdaemonbag, nice shot of the Superstition Mountains, although I would crop out the wash and shadows in the foreground.

Im no 'pro' eddlum25 but i like that shot. Im yet to try hdr, maybe this weekend. hummm ;)

Nice work, and thank you for posting an example. Try this: -1, 0, +1

1037204825_iUZRv-L.jpg

For what it's worth, if you click the link in my signature it takes you directly to my gallery.

This shot is over exposed and has ghosting on the red rocks to the sky. It is a tad over processed IMHO. Try exposure compensation to bring out eh blown out details.

I do love alot of the shot in your gallery. the bug shots are great

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure eddlum25 would love to see your alternative workups of his image then, since my quick hack is so distasteful. As someone who "doesn't know what HDR is", I'm pretty curious myself to see what you come up with.

HDR is done by taking multiple photos of the same subject with different exposures and then combining them in post processing. Usually done with 5 exposures (two different stops of under exposed, one properly exposed and two different stops of over exposed).

So I am not really sure how you want me to "hack" this image since I don't have all the exposures...

Most reactions

Back