First attempt using extension tubes

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a set of off brand extension tubes and tried them out on some flowers. These were shot indoors using natural light from my large kitchen window and some white foam boards for reflectors. I used my 5100 and 55-200 lens and a 20mm tube. I could only get focus at about 65-80mm. If anyone knows of a good tutorial for using tubes, I'd love a recommendation. Comments and suggestions welcome on the pics.

_49.jpg

_51.jpg

Last edited:
I've recently gotten a set of extensions also and have been trying them in different combinations on my different lenses.
So far only learned that each lens surprises me with where it works the best and how close it will focus. DOF seems the biggest challenge and lots and lots of light is part of the answer.
Experimentation seems to be the answer so far.

Yep, experiment lots. Sometimes you will be better off using a longer focal length with a short extension tubes. Sometimes if your extension tube is too long you'll alter the focus point too far in front of your sensor loosing the ability to focus at all.

I found it easier just to try the different tubes at different focal lengths to see where they best work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back