First attempt with extension tubes

I like the shots! Maybe a little underexposed for my taste but very pretty.
Don't know if you use a focusing rail for your tripod, but I know it is maddening trying to make fine adjustments without one.

Thanks. I’ve priced a focusing rail and see that good ones (that move forward/back and right/left) are somewhat pricey. I couldn’t find any used ones on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
There are plenty that do the left & right without being 'good ones' All you need is 2 forward back models, mounted at right angles. IMO the side to side model can be much inferior to the foreward backwards one. Freeplay in the controls is fairly irrelevant for the side ways part so a $30 e-bay model from China can be adequate there.

Don't know if you use a focusing rail for your tripod, but I know it is maddening trying to make fine adjustments without one.

Thanks. I’ve priced a focusing rail and see that good ones (that move forward/back and right/left) are somewhat pricey. I couldn’t find any used ones on Craigslist.

There are plenty that do the left & right without being 'good ones' All you need is 2 forward back models, mounted at right angles. IMO the side to side model can be much inferior to the foreward backwards one. Freeplay in the controls is fairly irrelevant for the side ways part so a $30 e-bay model from China can be adequate there.

That’s an interesting idea. Do you use that kind of setup?

There are plenty that do the left & right without being 'good ones' All you need is 2 forward back models, mounted at right angles. IMO the side to side model can be much inferior to the forward backwards one. Free-play in the controls is fairly irrelevant for the side ways part so a $30 e-bay model from China can be adequate there.

I've used two of the cheap ones at right angles. The limitations of the budget sliders showed somewhat for the forwards/backwards slider but where fine for the other. I don't do a great deal of macro so splashing out on a better slider even for the more important one has been more than I can justify. The Chinese one does still work...

Last edited:

There are plenty that do the left & right without being 'good ones' All you need is 2 forward back models, mounted at right angles. IMO the side to side model can be much inferior to the forward backwards one. Free-play in the controls is fairly irrelevant for the side ways part so a $30 e-bay model from China can be adequate there.

I've used two of the cheap ones at right angles. The limitations of the budget sliders showed somewhat for the forwards/backwards slider but where fine for the other. I don't do a great deal of macro so splashing out on a better slider even for the more important one has been more than I can justify. The Chinese one does still work...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve seen these at B&H and will give them a try.

Most reactions

Back