Extension tubes - a Kenko alternative?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by marmle, Mar 31, 2020.

1. marmle

marmle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I read a thread on here that Kenko are the brand to go for if your looking for a macro extension tube, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheaper alternative that would do an OK job, since I just want to experiment as I am going to be stuck indoors for the forseeable future. I have read reviews for some brands like Neewer on Amazon and I was put off by a lot of them. Some people said they were a loose fit, others said they had to take their camera to a shop to get them removed.

2. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're lucky, you get what you pay for. I've got the Kenko tubes and they work well; haven't tried the cheaper models. If yo want tome really expensive extension tubes, try Nikon!

3. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had cheaper versions
    Big mistake

4. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends.

I have some of the cheap Chinese versions but mine are not autofocus capeable.
    They are strictly manual.
    The concept works OK, but sometimes can be loose.

IMO, if you have the money go with the higher end stuff. Simply put the real problem is the looseness. if autofocus they will creep If manual, you have to hold everything rock solid.

5. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're using older lens with no electronics the cheapest screw together models work just as well as more expensive models. (They have identical optics after all)
    Models with bayonet fittings between each stage are slightly easier to use but can apparently have issues with loose fittings.
    If you're using lenses that need electronic comms then quality does make more of a difference. The cheap electronic ones tried for MFT work fine when used singly, but rarely work at all if combined.

Fortunately most of my lenses can be fully controlled manually, so I can use helicoids instead of tubes & adjust the length much more subtly, without having to remove the lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My brother bought a cheap set a number of years ago... they went on easily, but he had to take it to a cemera repair shop where they had to literally use a hacksaw to remove the tube from the body mount. Spend the extra on Kenko or other good ones now, or possibly at the repair shop later.

7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I must be lucky, I have an unbranded set with no electronics and they're fine.

The Raynox DCR-250 gets good reviews and though I've got one I've not used it much yet. Need to make sure your lens is compatible as they only fit up to a certian size

8. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have used Kenko in the past quite successfully, always remember like everything else in life you only get what you pay for......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Fotodiox or ProOptic. Stay away from the ultra cheap $10 tube sets.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    If your lens does not have a mechanical aperture control ring on it, then I would suggest going with the Kenko tubes, or another high-quality brand.

Very inexpensive brands which have no electronic contacts will leave users of body control aperture lenses high and dry or resorting to fixes such as using tape or gum putty to control the lens aperture. newer systems which have body controlled aperture setting require good tubes which electronically communicate with the camera body to set the lens aperture.q

Cheap $10 tube sets with no contactd are fine for old-style lenses such as older Nikon F lenses and older Legacy 35 mm lens systems but for many cameras made since the 1990s this type of contact-free system does not work very well.

11. marmle

marmle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice guys....guess I will just have to keep looking on ebay for a second hand set.

12. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Try giving Sussex cameras now part of London camera exchange in Chichester. I know they had some before lockdown
    Other place is MBP photography
    Just looked at the price of kenco on amazon....ouch
    I understand why you are looking at sh.