First attempt with the Brenizer Method

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recently learned about the Brenizer technique or method and wanted to give it a shot. I realize that a few of them I appear to be too far away. I still have plenty of messing around until I nail it.

Attachments

• $image-1546747220.jpg
    $image-1546747220.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 205
  • $image-3358425242.jpg
    $image-3358425242.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 215
  • $image-1851117058.jpg
    $image-1851117058.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 206
  • $image-1312203171.jpg
    $image-1312203171.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 223
Hmmm... not sure you're quite there yet. The basic goal of the Brenizer method as I understand it is to emulate the feel of LF with a 35mm camera, reproducing the shallow DoF, but keeping the subjects prominent in the image. 1, 3, & 4 seem to have the subject much more isolated in the image than is intended, and #2, while closest, still doesn't really have the appropriate DoF. How many images did you stitch for each of these?

Hmmm... not sure you're quite there yet. The basic goal of the Brenizer method as I understand it is to emulate the feel of LF with a 35mm camera, reproducing the shallow DoF, but keeping the subjects prominent in the image. 1, 3, & 4 seem to have the subject much more isolated in the image than is intended, and #2, while closest, still doesn't really have the appropriate DoF. How many images did you stitch for each of these?

About 35. I've also noticed that certain backgrounds help with the look. The best ones I've seen always include trees or some sort of shrubbery.

You should have been closer to her IMO.

I was about 3 feet away. It just appears like I'm far away cause I took photos pretty much up till my feet.

How wide of a lens were you using ???

You need to be pretty wide open, and you need to not refocus, of course. These are pretty evenly soft across the frame, but it's hard to tell with these small images. The idea is, roughly, to take a lot of extra pictures of out of focus background to stitch on to the central in focus picture.

You need to be pretty wide open, and you need to not refocus, of course. These are pretty evenly soft across the frame, but it's hard to tell with these small images. The idea is, roughly, to take a lot of extra pictures of out of focus background to stitch on to the central in focus picture.

That's exactly how I did it. I watched a video where Brenizer himself showed the technique and he says use the lens as open as you can which I did.

I can totally see it, but I think there is something you didnt do. You either didnt shoot it wide open enough, or not close enough. We all have seen the blur you will get when you shoot a 50mm pretty wide open on a half body close up shot. The blur should be like that.

I can totally see it, but I think there is something you didnt do. You either didnt shoot it wide open enough, or not close enough. We all have seen the blur you will get when you shoot a 50mm pretty wide open on a half body close up shot. The blur should be like that.

I probably wasn't close enough. It was wide open and I was about 3-5 feet away

You should have been closer to her IMO.

I was about 3 feet away. It just appears like I'm far away cause I took photos pretty much up till my feet.

Devin.. something wrong here! NO WAY a 50mm could get those shots from 3 feet away from the girl. Especially on a crop body... (d5100 like your profile shows) whre it would have a FOV of around 75mm. You were either using your 18-55 (but not enough distortion present for that lens used in UWA mode).. or you were much farther away than three feet!

Here is a shot http://chasingdelicious.com/2013/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/same-distance-620x461.jpg showing a 50mm and 85mm both shot from 3' away on a full frame camera (which would have a much wider FOV than your crop body)... the 85mm example would be close to what your crop body sees with a 50mm on it.... and as you can see, at three feet.. a hamburger fills the frame. No way you could get a full length human body in there! ;)

Please post one of the shots with full exif data left intact, so we can see what you did....

cgipson1, did you miss the part about these being multi-shot stitches, each photo composed of around 35 individual frames?

Most reactions

Back