First attempts at Portraits. C&C please.

Well I'm not going to repeat what's already been said but I do have something superficial that I feel has to be pointed out.
Her make up is smeared really badly, especially under her left eye and it's distracting the **** out of me!
She paid money for these images? Meaning, this wasn't just a goofing around session? If she paid for them, is she planning on using them in something? If so, I think a redo is very necessary or see if you can PP the make up.

I think the colors and the model are spot on, but as has already been said, the props here just don't do it. Even IF the person said "Hey this is where I want to be", as the person snapping you have some responsibility to say "Hey look, I know this is what you want because you think it'll turn out this way - but it wont so maybe lets try something else."

That's not to say contrast isn't good. You could've put this sweet model in a grungy environment and it would have worked. But the folding chair, and the fence, yea, it just screams "someones backyard". Maybe composed better the background wouldn't be so distracting (although the folding definitely needs to go). I would say if she likes this "style", find a factory, or an abandoned industrial park where she can model so that this theme of contrasts can be continued.

I like # 2 it really makes you want more of her..........She's a good model to work worth....

While I do agree with everyone in general about the backgrounds in general, and that the model was captured wonderfully, I REALLY enjoy picture #1. I know that a girl in a fancy dress and pearls probably shouldn't be photographed on this kind of background, it there's just something about the pic that really grabs me. As with all art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and experimental photos are always great. Keep it up!

The first one I kind of enjoy because the looks a bit loony. The other two are quite bad, mostly because the posing is totally forced and she looks entirely lifeless.

Thanks for the comments guys. She's not a professional model, or even an amateur model at that. So, I can understand the poses being forced and lifeless. Again about the backgrounds, I told her of a couple places that the backgrounds would have looked amazing. I suggested them, she didn't want them. Sorry, but I won't force someone into a picture they don't want to take.

I really like the second one. Although the first one is good her eyes are "weird" lol...i mean i know it's better to not always have your subject looking into the camera but her eyes look like they're about to do a 360. :lol:

anyway this is some pretty good portraiture.

P.S i like the backgrounds on the first two as well.

I am JSO but I agree the focus looks off in #1 and #2. I also agree that if she paid you I would offer a reshoot. I am still portfolio building and I have not even charged anyone yet.

I also agree with everything Tirediron said. I have only posted here once and I will agree I was alittle defensive with some of his comments but I am very thankful for them. I took everything he said to heart and have really been reading and practicing and learning all that I can. I thought I knew so much but realized I have so much to learn. I also have noticed that he is one of the main people who actually take the time to offer cc. So we should all be thankful for cc, good or bad. It is the only way to learn. :)

Hi there,

One more thing I will add for a future shoot (and I am still watching this myself) is that you always want to have at least some white on both sides of the iris. Men are supposed to generally look straight down their nose while women can look off to the side more.

HTH :)

Most reactions

Back