First B&W shots from Full Spectrum Infrared converted Sony A7R

idle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've shot B&W infrared film since the early 1980's and have quite a few infrared filters in various sizes and light frequencies. However, because my digital camera is full spectrum, I've been experimenting with other filter colours for B&W as well as for colour effects. Yellow and orange filters work quite well, as do red filters of course. True IR filters create a RAW with just one colour and usually look best as B&W.
The shots below are from the first week with my 'new' converted camera.
Happily, digital infrared works fine on overcast days too.

The Old Silo
The Old Silo by Michael J Breen, on Flickr
IR Converted Sony A7R
Laowa 105mm STF lens
850nm IR filter

Whitford Farm
Whitford Farm by Michael J Breen, on Flickr
IR Converted Sony A7R
Laowa 105mm STF lens
850nm IR filter

Tide's Out, Manukau Harbour
eBiking: Mangere Bridge by Michael J Breen, on Flickr
IR Converted Sony A7R
Laowa 15mm Shift/Macro lens
Red filter

Leaves and Graffiti
IR Converted Sony A7R
Laowa 15mm Shift/Macro lens
Orange filter

The Roadie
IR Converted Sony A7R
Minolta Rokkor 35mm f1.8 lens
IR720 filter

Hydrema Dump Truck
IR Converted Sony A7R
Laowa 15mm Shift Macro lens
IR850 filter

Nice.

I have a D40 to get converted, probably after the end of the year. I just haven't decided which way to go with it.

Nice.

I have a D40 to get converted, probably after the end of the year. I just haven't decided which way to go with it.
Full Spectrum IMO. Gives you more shooting options including normal colour (with cut filters)

I always associate orange & red filters with false colour IR, but this shows they still work well in monochrome as well!
Lovely set TFS
Yeah, I wondered too. That's why I set off armed with lots of filters to test the way they saw colour in IR and how they converted to B&W. FYI, the image below is a false colour edit from the same RAW as the 4th image shot with an orange filter.

Interesting. Yesterday I sent a T7i off to get full spectrum Astro converted. This is good motivation to experiment beyond astro.

Yeah, I wondered too. That's why I set off armed with lots of filters to test the way they saw colour in IR and how they converted to B&W. FYI, the image below is a false colour edit from the same RAW as the 4th image shot with an orange filter.

In this case I prefer the B&W variant.
I have got some reasonable results with orange filters (even with a plastic orange pencil case!) on my converted A7ii but my go-to option for false colour is red filters (#25 or sometimes #29).
I've been surprised to find I like darker blue filters (#47) more than orange or yellow. Most work surprisingly well transmitting lots of IR with a different portion of the visual. (Colour correcting type filters are too subtle IMO)
UV pass filters can also be fun to play with, any I can afford transmit a fair bit of IR, but they definitely require longer exposures...

Ahh, you're like me; you'll experiment with anything that might offer alternate possibilities!
Unfortunately, it's a long way from here to suppliers of useful filters. Colour filters are available as are some IR. However, cut filters are hard to find locally and I've had to place orders for deliveries from 10-15,000km away. I hope to have some of those in the next 2 weeks. I've also ordered a couple of very interesting 'Pass' filters for UV and IR. One passes lots of UV and just a little IR while cutting out most visible light and the other passes about the same amounts of UV and IR but also blocks most visible light. The amount of visible light they DO pass, should allow for some extra false colour. Light frequency maps below. Not silly money from a Chinese supplier: NZ$103 for 2x 67mm filters incl freight.
UV Pass Filter.jpg

Attachments

• UV IR Pass Filter 1.jpg
    UV IR Pass Filter 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 23
Ahh, you're like me; you'll experiment with anything that might offer alternate possibilities!
Unfortunately, it's a long way from here to suppliers of useful filters. Colour filters are available as are some IR. However, cut filters are hard to find locally and I've had to place orders for deliveries from 10-15,000km away. I hope to have some of those in the next 2 weeks. I've also ordered a couple of very interesting 'Pass' filters for UV and IR. One passes lots of UV and just a little IR while cutting out most visible light and the other passes about the same amounts of UV and IR but also blocks most visible light. The amount of visible light they DO pass, should allow for some extra false colour. Light frequency maps below. Not silly money from a Chinese supplier: NZ$103 for 2x 67mm filters incl freight.
View attachment 250431
I think those UV pass filters are clones of Schott or Hoya technical glasses. I managed to get U330 & U340 through work as 25mm bare discs. (U360 wasn't available at that time).

They can give interesting results but performance varies widely depending on factors like the nature of the daylight & the lens used. The small size of my filters isn't such a bad thing for UV as wider lenses have more glass & glass absorbs UV.

You're quite right I'll try anything & (almost) everything.

Having a spectrometer at work enables me to produce spectra like those you copied for any of my filters. This has shown me that sometimes filters that are supposedly the same can vary considerably in their IR characteristics. I have 3 Tiffen #58 filters (Green) one of them transmits loads of IR, another hardly any and the third is roughly half way in between. The intermediate one works very well with my SD14 cameras to create a aerochrom look SOOC (the foveon sensor shows IR as red)

I think those UV pass filters are clones of Schott or Hoya technical glasses. I managed to get U330 & U340 through work as 25mm bare discs. (U360 wasn't available at that time).

They can give interesting results but performance varies widely depending on factors like the nature of the daylight & the lens used. The small size of my filters isn't such a bad thing for UV as wider lenses have more glass & glass absorbs UV.

You're quite right I'll try anything & (almost) everything.

Having a spectrometer at work enables me to produce spectra like those you copied for any of my filters. This has shown me that sometimes filters that are supposedly the same can vary considerably in their IR characteristics. I have 3 Tiffen #58 filters (Green) one of them transmits loads of IR, another hardly any and the third is roughly half way in between. The intermediate one works very well with my SD14 cameras to create a aerochrom look SOOC (the foveon sensor shows IR as red)

Yeah, I don't know what they will do for me but as long as it offeres me other ways to be creative and different: I'll figure it out. I also have a bunch of 'red' filters that all give different results. A spectrometer would be awesome and, if I had one, I would label each filter for easier selection; lucky you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back