First baby shots

photonewbie86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all My neighbour let me shoot her baby and she was a great participant let me know hat you guys think.

Kayden2.jpg

Kayden3.jpg

My first suggestion is to take the baby out of the car seat, it really limits what you can do. Besides babies love tummy time and it is a great way for you to get on their level and take some great photos.

The first one seems fuzzy to me and the second is at an odd angle.

out of the carseat.....
and they seem very blurry.
cute kid either way!

the best area to focus for portrait is "EYES".
If you are not sure just set the f-stop about 8.

-Santacruz

I don't understand... Why did you go B&W? Doesn't seem like the right photos for this. I agree with stone... Take the baby out and pose a little. Play around a little and get some DOF in the images. And as I have seen said a thousand times on TPF, focus on the eyes!

These look like snapshots turned black and white to me. But the good news is that you get to play with the baby again while reshooting!!!

Another suggestion for taking that baby out of the car seat. That baby looks pretty big too, so she may be able to sit up which opens the door for some poses. If she can't sit up, at the very least she can lay on her tummy and hold her head up.

My first thought when I saw the first one was that it was too soft. I'm not sure if the fuji finepix camera you were using offers control over the settings, but this was shot at f3.1. If you can bump that up to f8-ish it would help with the depth of field.

As far as composition with what you have, I'm a stickler for some of the basic rules, like the rule of thirds. In the first picture I'd move the head a little more to the left leaving at least 2/3 of the frame to the right of her head. When subjects are centered in the frame it becomes a little too static for me.

Having said that, I kinda like the idea of centering the head in the second shot because of the symmetry. If I HAD to shoot that picture, I would try to get the baby to look straight up rather than angling the head. If you could accomplish that then you'd have quite a symmetrical shot.

Thanks guys she just lives up the road and she's such a happy baby she's a delight to shoot thanks for all the cc folks it's very appeeciated you guys are great :)

In addition to what everyone else said, I suggest taking the baby outside so you can get some natural catchlights in her eyes. Ask mom to dress her in something simple so it's not distracting. And get on baby's level when shooting, making sure to place her a good distance from the background so it's out of focus. I'm still learning about photography myself, but the best thing I keep in mind when taking pictures of babies is to keep the focus on them. There is just too much going on in these shots. Carseat, toys, a chair, busy patterns on clothing, etc. Hope that helps!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back