First Band Shoot....

TheBoombaGnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!

So a buddy that I work with is in a metal band, and they needed shots, I need pictures for my portfolio. I'm kind of starting to freak out though, as the shoot is only 6 days away and I have no idea what I'm doing...:-\

I have my 300D with kit lens and i'm borrowing a 55-200mm lens. I have a wide angle adapter for my lenses, but over all, I have no idea if I need more stuff, or where to shoot.

Keep in mind, they are a heavier band. Any general ideas on where to shoot these guys would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other equipment you think I should try to either purchase or at least rent over the next week :)

Thanks guys, and I'll keep you posted as to what is goin' on!

TBG

You are going to struggle with your kit don't bother with the 55-200 you need a lens that has an aperture of F2.8 or lower F1.4, i was shooting 2 bands on Friday night shooting at iso3200 here's one
1089460290_fhqaF-L.jpg

I was actually just about to post back, it is a posed, promo shoot. They are playing a show in about 2 weeks where they asked for a promo package, so I'm going to be doing their photos...:) My bad, forgot to say that.

I was actually just about to post back, it is a posed, promo shoot. They are playing a show in about 2 weeks where they asked for a promo package, so I'm going to be doing their photos...:) My bad, forgot to say that.

Thats a different kettle of fish, i have done quite a few but find it hard to come up with ideas, also rock bands usually have a joker that has to mess about all the time making it harder, here's some of the same band as above to give you some ideas, i wanted to shoot location they wanted studio

430391333_32JQ8-L.jpg

468012210_FVgeC-L.jpg

430392858_eRfzj-L.jpg

The Joker
430393159_Pz4GD-L.jpg

those are some awesome shots man...

I think they want location, problem is, I have no idea what would be an appropriate location for a metal band...thats wher eI'm getting thrown off....:-\

those are some awesome shots man...

I think they want location, problem is, I have no idea what would be an appropriate location for a metal band...thats wher eI'm getting thrown off....:-\

Would you believe this is a metal band, the location was their idea
547821136_KmjMy-L.jpg

Ask the band if they have any ideas for location and type of shot they want

Touche....haha.

Any other suggestions as far as what I should bring with me? Should I look into bringing some off camera flashes and what not? The currently flash on the camera keeps giving me a Error 05, so I'm using the one flash I have mounted to the camera itself, rather than as a slave...

so I'm using the one flash I have mounted to the camera itself, rather than as a slave...

Here is what I set up in AZ back in the summer, I used the sun a back lightning and some fill flash with my SB600 that was attached to an off camera TTL Cord

_DSC0004 by Michael Carlson - Photography, on Flickr

Nikon D200
Nikkor 18-70mm
Speedlight SB-600
Off Camera TTL Cord.

Touche....haha.

Any other suggestions as far as what I should bring with me? Should I look into bringing some off camera flashes and what not? The currently flash on the camera keeps giving me a Error 05, so I'm using the one flash I have mounted to the camera itself, rather than as a slave...

I would take both lens, have a look at this guy's work
Tom Barnes | +44 (0) 7515 898 999 shot 14 in music section is a good example of what you could do

Don't worry about the lens, worry about the lighting.

Don't worry about the lens, worry about the lighting.

Well all I have right now as far as lighting goes is a crappy little flash. lol. I don't have much in the way of lighting, but can probablly try and rent some stuff...I'm just not sure what to get other than maybe a couple other flashes...

Get at least one off camera light, preferably two. If you get a flash make sure it has manual power control. You will then need a lightstand and either an umbrella or a softbox and the appropriate mounts. And of course, a cheap wireless trigger to fire the flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back