First Bug of 2011

ChrisA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw some small flies on some snowdrops, so took a few shots.

All on the MPE-65mm.

about 2x Mag at F11.

20110212-_MG_0011.jpg

about 3x Mag at F11.

20110212-_MG_0016.jpg

and 1:1 at F11 to show in context on the snowdrop, unfortunately cropped the wings a bit tight.
20110212-_MG_0024.jpg

love the shots! especially the 2nd one, really sharp and clear.

Thanks for looking and the comments

Thanks I'm glad you like them. Really please to find some bugs this early in the year. Fortunate in a way, as I'd gone to take snowdrops and found these amongst them.

Wow....amazing detail and clarity. Hopefully that means that spring is right around the corner :)

Wow....amazing detail and clarity. Hopefully that means that spring is right around the corner :)

I hope so, but it seems an eternity away still.

Nice, I can't wait till the day I get my hands on an MPE.

Very nice, love it! It's been said a lot but the pollen on that little guy is awesome!! What kind of lighting system do you use to get shots like that?

Very nice, love it! It's been said a lot but the pollen on that little guy is awesome!! What kind of lighting system do you use to get shots like that?

Thanks - I have a Canon MT-24ex Twin Macro flash. I have this diffused by stofen diffusers. Also I mount one of the flashes on a kaiser bounce shoe adapter to give it more height and act more as a "flood" type lamp which I put directly over the subject. Other lamp is more side on to fill the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back