First camera

stx.dead.I

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a camera within the next couple weeks for my fiance. It is a first dslr camera for us both. We would be using it for both video and photography.

She wants a dslr camera. We are looking for good zoom ability, good video quality with good auto zooming at different distances. For example animals running. My budget is under 1k. I'm not really sure what else is important but I will monitor this thread closely and answer any questions yall might have.

Hi mate I have a couple of questions.
Would you be willing to buy second hand?
Do you want to have one lense or are you willing to change lenses and carry around an extra lense?

Hi mate I have a couple of questions.
Would you be willing to buy second hand?
Do you want to have one lense or are you willing to change lenses and carry around an extra lense?
Yes to second hand and if need be, extra lenses are cool

I only know canon so if you want canon read below

Two options For second hand.
1. 600d with 18-55 is, 55-250 is, 50
2. 70d with 18-55 is

Option for new
600d with 18-55 non is

The options are up to you and there are many more possibilities like a second hand 600d with a L lens it is all up to you and what is available second hand (I would Suggest second had) but when I got my first dslr I wasn't very brave.

Last edited:
This website is pretty well-respected for their reviews:

2015 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $500-800

From what you've said, pretty much any of these cameras will fit your needs. What would probably benefit you and your fiancée most is if you can go to a camera shop to test out a few. It can really make a huge difference to hold a camera in your hands, flip through the menus, look through the viewfinder. It doesn't matter how good it looks on paper if you don't love the feel of it.

How loud are dslr cameras when photographing? Being dead silent is ideal because it will be used regularly when hunting and don't want to spook animals.

Oh, so you need a camera for photographing wildlife? Probably superzoom lenses? That's a very specific niche, and I'm not gonna lie, it gets expensive quick.

Have you considered a camera like this?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000: Digital Photography Review

It's not a DSLR, so it has a fixed lens, but that lens does go up to 400mm, which would help with wildlife.

I guess what I'm asking is, why do you feel you need a DSLR right now? What camera are you currently using, and what about it is no longer working for you? What kind of situations do you intend to take the camera to? What kind of image quality are you expecting?

Every camera is a compromise. If there was a perfect camera, everyone would buy it. Sometimes you compromise in image quality, sometimes you compromise in price, sometimes you compromise in performance. So we just need to get a sense of where you absolutely cannot compromise in order to figure out the best camera for you.

Oh, so you need a camera for photographing wildlife? Probably superzoom lenses? That's a very specific niche, and I'm not gonna lie, it gets expensive quick.

---Not just photography, would like to film hunts as well.

Have you considered a camera like this?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000: Digital Photography Review

It's not a DSLR, so it has a fixed lens, but that lens does go up to 400mm, which would help with wildlife.

I guess what I'm asking is, why do you feel you need a DSLR right now?

-----Don't really feel like I need a dslr, it's just what the fiance wants for some reason.

What camera are you currently using, and what about it is no longer working for you?

------Pretty new to it, only been using my camera phone and gopro cam. It sucks for anything past 20yards.

What kind of situations do you intend to take the camera to? What kind of image quality are you expecting?

--------General purpose since it'll pretty much be the only camera we have. Decent quality, nothing spectacular but want it to be worth viewing for sure.

Every camera is a compromise. If there was a perfect camera, everyone would buy it. Sometimes you compromise in image quality, sometimes you compromise in price, sometimes you compromise in performance. So we just need to get a sense of where you absolutely cannot compromise in order to figure out the best camera for you.

Take a look at the reviews for that camera I mentioned, the Panasoniz FZ1000. It has a completely silent shutter and 4K video capability.

The truth is, if you don't know why you need a DSLR, you probably don't. DSLRs are very expensive, and you need to continually put more money towards new lenses, accessories, etc. etc. There's a pretty steep learning curve too. But if you just want a camera to take decent pictures, a high-end superzoom is your best bet.

If you do a Google image search for "FZ1000 wildlife" you can see images others have gotten with this camera. Keep in mind, of course, that the best ones were likely taken by experienced photographers using manual modes and good technique...you should not expect those kinds of results your first time out. But you'll be able to see what it's capable of.

[...] DSLRs are very expensive, [...]

Err, what ?

DSLRs are dirt cheap !!!

You can buy an entry level DSLR with kitlens and telezoom for about 500 $ or €. I dont know about Canon, but for Nikon, if you get the bigger zoom, the 55-300mm instead of the 55-200mm, you would already have a bit more reach than with the FZ1000 (450mm instead of 400mm equivalent). And of course you can get even more reach with different lenses, like the new 200-500mm f5.6 (300-750mm equivalent, but that lens alone is slightly above 1000$ or €, though).

Also you'll get superior image quality (about 4 times larger sensor area), especially in more critical situations (low light), and better autofocus.

The issues with DSLRs:

- You can change lenses. Some people simply dont want to do that.
- You kinda need to learn photography. The reason is that the sensor is larger (which gives you better IQ) so you have less room for errors.
- They are bigger and heavier.

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of DSLRs that offer silent shutters... I should have clarified. I think there's a "quiet shutter" mode for entry level Nikons that everyone makes fun of because it's not actually quiet at all, right? I think some of the more advanced models do have a better version of that feature, but they are more expensive.

If you can do without, though, Solarflare is completely correct, there are plenty of cameras well within your budget. If you refer back to the first link I posted, there's a good list.

So you need a DSLR and a long lens if you go canon go with the 18-55 as a general purpose lens and a 70-300 for the wildlife photos with a crop sensor the 300 will become 480 which should be long enough. Both lenses should be around $300 second hand so then you can get something like the 7d original which has a quite shutter sound and has 8 frames a second. To get the shots :) it's up to you

I got my first real DSLR few weeks ago. I got a Canon T5i that came with an 18-55 and a 55-250, a bag, and an extra battery (all for $700 Canadian plus tax).

I'm very happy with my purchase. I went with Canon because they're a bit easier to learn on than a Nikon mainly because you can see the changes to your shutter/aperture/iso on the LCD screen and it's got a nice touch screen. Like others have said, if a big zoom is really important, go for a 300mm lens.

She wants a dslr camera.
What kind of photography would she be doing?

You can get an entry-level DSLR with one lens for considerably under your budget. Or you can get an "enthsiast" level camera with one lens for about the amount of your budget.

In case you think I forgot about the video part; no, I have not. The video is apparently for you, so find a way to get both kinds of camera, but let your fiancé have her DSLR. Otherwise, it's not a "gift for her".

Most reactions

Back