First Circumhorizontal Arc Photos

bgaideski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bjgphoto.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the pleasure of capturing my first photographs of a circumhorizontal arc the other day. I am looking for some c&c from you guys.

If anyone else has ever captured one of these, I encourage you to share!

For the full set please check out this page on my blog: Photos by Brian Gaideski: Circumhorizontal Arc

DSC_8337A_4x6_1024x681.jpg

DSC_8345A_4x6B_1024x682.jpg

I like your second shot. THe top one is hard to relly get a grasp of what it is a photo of. The added elements of the second shot allow the viewer to see what it is and some sense of scale is added.

Believe it or not, there is one outside right now here in North Western North Dakota. I managed to get some shots of one the other day in this area as well. Congrats, its a neat occurance.

IMG_2444web.jpg

Last edited:
im confused, what is a circumhorizontal arc?

ahh okay cool, never seen one (apart from the usual rainbows) very nice.

Montana: Where did you take such an interesting picture at?

Is this same phenomena considered a circumhorizontal arc too? do they call it something else instead? Very Very cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these!

We always call them sundogs. That shot was taken in NorthWestern North Dakota. I see about 3 a week as of late. I think what you photographed is a similar circumstance. I have never really researched any of this. LOL

I just went to Wiki and did some research. A sundog, or parhelion, and a Circumhorizontal arc appear to be two different light phenomena.

Copy from wiki:
A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek parēlion, (παρήλιον), παρά(beside) + ήλιος(sun), "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[1] (formed by ice crystals)
Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° (distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back