First commisioned Band promo shoot, would love some criticism

beansncrackers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

Myself and three others have started a media company to activly presue and push our photography and videography.
A few months back we did a quick promo shoot for a band "The Miracle Is Now" that needed a cover image for a magizine article that was being published.

We luckily had a studio that we could utilise but didnt have any interesting backdrops. Would love to get some critisicm in areas to improve. Also thought on the use of the lights as a backdrop.

If you want to look over some more of our shots I would love some comments on our other work, please visit the below link :thumbup:

www.sharehousemedia.com

$420246_309966492395924_241315672594340_866085_59975290_n.jpg

The background in this seems an odd choice, especially with the structure sticking up out of the head of the guy in the back, and the DOF that includes it, rather than separating your subject from it. They look bored and disinterested.

Hey, a band - cool! :) I like the lighting in the faces.

Here's what I think you could improve:

1) everyone appears to be leaning to the right, possibly caused by
2) the horizon/background is tilted to the right
3) blacks are underexposed
4) background (sky?) is blown out / overexposed
5) pole (what is that thing?) coming out of plaid guy's head
6) consider not cropping the arms of far left guy and far right guy

I wish they'd smile or something, but hey, I know - it's a band and they have to look serious and moody. hehe..

Hey, a band - cool! :) I like the lighting in the faces.

Here's what I think you could improve:

1) everyone appears to be leaning to the right, possibly caused by
2) the horizon/background is tilted to the right
3) blacks are underexposed
4) background (sky?) is blown out / overexposed
5) pole (what is that thing?) coming out of plaid guy's head
6) consider not cropping the arms of far left guy and far right guy

I wish they'd smile or something, but hey, I know - it's a band and they have to look serious and moody. hehe..

The pole stick from the head is unfortunantly where the two light panels joined.
I had never noticed the leaning to the right but now that i notice it I cant stop trying to figure out what is going on, im 100% the camera was level so maybe just a coincidence.
When i edited it i intentionally over exposed the lights to remove so detail from the lights as it was distracting, so i guess that was a stylistic choice and the blacks I crushed aswell....i may be over editing to compensate a poor photo i guess.
Cropping is another thing i need to keep in mind.

I guess what I really learned from this is to plan the shot allot more as this one was adhoc and last minute.

Thanks heaps for the tips keep em comming!

Most reactions

Back