First Communion Picture

J.E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so this is me, ages ago. First Communion. Excuse the horrible 80's hair. Nobody asked me, I had no say with it. So useless to critique how horrible the fringe/pony looks. ;)

Okay, obviously I'm not after critique on the shot itself, either, as I can't claim to have taken it. I had to work with what I had, which was this... a rather ordinary snapshot.

4.jpg

For my grandmas photo-calendar I scanned the above pic and PS'd it. I think I improved it...

5.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure about it. It's good enough for grams' photo calendar, that's for sure, but some things don't 'feel' right, only I don't know which exactly.

So what do you think about the following aspects:

1. The catchlights in the eyes? There obviously were none and I added them to give my eyes a more lively look. Only I'm not quite sure how well 'artificial' catchlights work. Are they okay? Too obviously PS'd?

2. The vignetting? It kind of dulls the corners down, I find? I wanted the shot to become a little softer and to give it some 'glow', but I don't know if I'm happy with it. What else could I have done?

3. The flame of the candle? Sometimes I think it's obvious it wasn't part of the picture originally (especially as I added it after vignetting the borders, duh!), sometimes I think it blends in well. Seems to depend on what time of the day it is. I don't know. What do you think?

4. Anything else that feels weird/not right/overdone?

Thank you for looking. I'm really hoping for some enlightenment here, so just be as honest as you can. :blushing:

I think you did an amazing job. Flame and all. I like it. It's very hmm.. let's say 'classic' but hey - it's a first communion picture and it's for Grandma. Perfect. :thumbup:

Ditto, I think this is a stupendous job and one anyone should be proud of.
IMO, the flame is fine, as is the vignetting.

The only suggestion I might have is to make her a little lower in the frame so as to leave a little more room above her head and get her eyes down on the third line.

littlegirlvf3.jpg

I think Grams will be pleased. Good job.

There are a couple things to try to see if you like them better when you look side by side: Burn the eyes a bit to reduce the shadows/bags. (You certainly don't have bags under your eyes now and really, really didn't then <grin>) Move your catchlight edit over to the right (subject's left) so they look as though they are 'catching' the candle's glow. Maybe about a 2:30 position. The candle is actually lower than that, but the catchlights below level will look really hokey, I think.

I'm not sure this will make any huge difference, but may be worth fiddling with a bit.

Again, Good Job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back