First couples maternity shoot. Critique!

RNCC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Honesty, please.

My first maternity shoot period. We had to do it on the hospital grounds because Mom is spending the rest of her pregnancy there for observation due to complications.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!!!
If you post the picture directly to the thread you'll get more comments!! If you need help doing that just yell!!

I tried and it told me I had too many words. What is the best way?

I don't use smugmug so I don't know the best w/ through that site. But if you use a free Flickr account all you have to do is upload and copy and paste a BBCode to the thread.

Luscious greens!

I think mom is a bit low-profile. Wish I could see more of her lovely smile.

I like number 1 a lot. I can't see Mom's face in the 2nd. I wish you hadn't cropped at the wrist on the third, but otherwise it's really cute. I love the 4th. The 5th seems a tad overexposed, but still cute. I would have also liked it better if you had not used the blanket as it cuts the frame into halves.

Overall, nice job. Keep shooting. :)

The white is way over powering in all the photos. I would have chosen a different color blanket. Its bleached out and your eye gets drawn there quickly.

Just my 2 cents :)

PS I forgot to say I like them :) I'm a noobie myself so take my 2cents for what its worth :) I bet the couple love them :)

I think the pictures are pretty good.

As has been said, the mom should be the focus of the shots, and on #1 and #2 you can't really see her face while the father is looking great!

I'm loving #4. Maybe next time you do something similar try to see if you can get her wedding ring in the shot too.

A personal pet peeve...try moving the signature either to the top or bottom. It's too distracting where it is, and you can just as easily put your name on the shots in a less obtrusive location!

I like number 1 a lot. I can't see Mom's face in the 2nd. I wish you hadn't cropped at the wrist on the third, but otherwise it's really cute. I love the 4th. The 5th seems a tad overexposed, but still cute. I would have also liked it better if you had not used the blanket as it cuts the frame into halves.

Overall, nice job. Keep shooting. :)

I completely agree about the blanket. The areas we had were limited and the ground was a tad bit muddy, so we used one.

love her green dress! - would've loved to see her wedding ring in that particular photo...... most seem overexposed to me, i think i would've dropped the blanket. And I always recommend coordinating outfits - not matchy matching ... practice makes better tho! ;)

I think the pictures are pretty good.

As has been said, the mom should be the focus of the shots, and on #1 and #2 you can't really see her face while the father is looking great!

I'm loving #4. Maybe next time you do something similar try to see if you can get her wedding ring in the shot too.

A personal pet peeve...try moving the signature either to the top or bottom. It's too distracting where it is, and you can just as easily put your name on the shots in a less obtrusive location!

Thanks. I will try to focus more on Mom next shoot. On #4 I would've love to had Mom's ring, too but she was swollen too much to wear it =(

As far as skill level, where do you think I am?

love her green dress! - would've loved to see her wedding ring in that particular photo...... most seem overexposed to me, i think i would've dropped the blanket. And I always recommend coordinating outfits - not matchy matching ... practice makes better tho! ;)

Thanks for feedback! I am going to try to better advise next time on clothing!
I'm always unsure of how much to up my exposure in PS. The originals weren't this exposed, so I guess I need to back down. haha!

juuv6w.jpg

How would you edit this one as far as exposure?

Well the first time you posted the photo, the exposure is different. This one looks ok.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a slightly different crop on the photo. I'm weird about bent knees. They always look like amputations to me, and then you have the weird toe thing sticking out. Best just to crop it out. Another thing I noticed while cropping is the strange hand placement of the lady. It's not super horrific, but it kind of makes her look like she really has to pee. It might look better to the side. Just a head's up for future shoots.
Anyhoo here is

Your Original:
juuv6w.jpg

And the different crop:
juuv6wredo.jpg

Granted, it's a little tight, but you do get rid of that uncomfortable knee/toe thing. Hope you don't mind.

Most reactions

Back