First Critique Photo!

realitycheck3907

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first photo to post on here. I took it while riding down the interstate with my wife. Thats the reason for the power lines and not getting the whole building. No composition here just point and shot out window. So I need help with this photo, I am a newb at photography, Im also a major newb at photoshop. I've touched it up a little bit, but what else can I do to improve this shot. Also what else can I do to improve the way I take the shot, next time. Other than the obvious. :wink:
Thanks for the help guys.

2729557645_937356394e_b.jpg

I like the photo....I would brighten it up a bit, straighten your horizon and clone out ALL of those power lines...even the little on that connects that mercury vapor light or whatever down to the right.

Freedbaby

Use the clone stamp tool which looks like a rubber stamp. Pick a soft edge line and use a size that will cover what you want to clone out. Pick a spot close to what you are removing as the spot you want to clone, hold the ALT button as you left click and that will be your spot. Using the soft edge will not make it look so harsh. Make sure to zoom in a whole buch when working on it so you can see as much detail as possible.

Play with it a little, as long as you dont save you can either undo or revert back to the orig. photo

I am no PS whiz so that is about as much as I can give you.

Freedbaby

Any other excuses you'd like to use for posting a shot that you're not happy with? I'm trying to figure out who you are putting the blame on for a less than stellar post. Are you blaming your wife? Why, did she push the shutter button? If driving down the interstate and happened upon this image, what did she have to do with your result? I am confused.

All I can say is to take responsibility for the images you take and post.

It's not bad, but it's not brilliant.

I'm not putting blame on anybody kundalini. Just simply stating what you did. Its not the best photo. I actually really like the photo. If I can get rid of the power lines I think it'll be really nice.
I'm working on the power lines now. One more question how do you straighten the horizon?

What version of Photoshop do you have? If it's CS2 or 3, then Filter > Distort > Lens Correction... Under "Transform" where it says "Angle" grab that little line in the circle and move it until you get what you want. Also if you click in the box next to it you can use the up and down arrows to go in .01 degree increments (for fine tuning).

That is a lot less tedious then the other option, which is Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary... type in what you want and choose CW (clockwise) or CCW (counter CW), hit OK and see the result. If you don't like it, go back in your history and try again. Repeat until it's where you want it.

Last edited:
Own up! You went back, cut down all the power lines and even removed a lamp post so you could take the shot again didn't you? Some people are so selfish! ;)

If that's your first time with the clone tool it's really very impressive, I can barely see a trace of it so a first time viewer would never know it's there. Top job!

A little more contrast to bring out the detail wouldn't hurt. :)

Holy middle gray, Batman!

Most reactions

Back