First D90 outing Little Cottonwood Canyon granite

asherexplore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is some of my first shots out from D90.(d40 died a few months ago)
Also in pictures #3 and #4 my first time remotely firing my sb600 via pocket wizard plus II.(YAY!)
I did not take care in balancing the flash with ambient light. I kind of blew out rock details because I over powered the flash. But I am still excited about how they turned out, regardless of my sloppyness.

I just got a nice light stand and a shoot through umbrella. Im really looking forward to getting some nice climbing pictures with studio quality lighting.
That is my goal!

I have some learning to do with all the new options I have.
Comments and critique are most welcome.

Oh and this is the first time i've ever used a watermark, I know most people have mixed feelings bout watermarks. Ive dropped the resolution on these low enough that you wouldn't want to print them anyway.
I wanted to water mark because it will spread my website URL as the pictures surf around facebook.

(1)
801249926_xgUHe-M-2.jpg

(2)
801249498_ULu68-M-2.jpg

(3)
797737928_vUTVZ-M-2.jpg

(4)
797737968_ukCA8-M-2.jpg

Drop the watermark, its dumb. If your shots are good enough your name will spread for the right reasons, not becuase of annoying watermarks on facebook pictures.

That's quite the opinion you have there JimmyO. Actually that's coming across as more of an insult than an opinion. Not to worry I will gladly take all the spray you can muster up.
If your going to take the time to trash my photos you could at least go into a little more detail then just stopping at my "dumb" watermarks. Regardless of how annoying you think they are im sure you can see past them at least a little bit. enough to possibly offer more critique?
*sigh* maybe im asking to much.

That's quite the opinion you have there JimmyO. Actually that's coming across as more of an insult than an opinion. Not to worry I will gladly take all the spray you can muster up.
If your going to take the time to trash my photos you could at least go into a little more detail then just stopping at my "dumb" watermarks. Regardless of how annoying you think they are im sure you can see past them at least a little bit. enough to possibly offer more critique?
*sigh* maybe im asking to much.

Your not asking to much, your making things up to much.

I didnt even touch your images in terms of criticism. I actually thing they are quite good. Im just saying if you want to be taken seriously dont rely on watermarks.

1: Looks good, interesting angle. Maybe would have shot it standing above looking down not next to him looking over. His hands look a tad to bright, but i do understand theres chalk on them

2: Composition isnt boring, but its really hard to figure out which angle your viewing him from. The bottom left tree looks like its getting to much flash and is causing a distraction

3: I get the whole checking out the rock thing but this shot is boring. Light is good though. Also dont like the road in the BG, ruins the whole in the woods feel.

4: I wanna like this one but i cant, no sure what it is, the framing is pretty good and everything but the lighting looks a little to forced, also a bit to hot.

On a final note always try to get lower/closer to something. A shot taken from a standing up position has a lot bigger chance for being boring then one take from the ground or above (like you did :thumbup:)

Understand im not a troll or annoyance. Im just gonna say what i think.

I really like the first image. The perspective really compliments the tone of the picture. The framing and his facial expression add to the whole "slipping" vibe that the picture gives off in my opinion.

I would have liked to see a bit more depth at the bottom left of the picture, just to give an idea of what he may be falling into.

Good shot all in all though.

thanks! most of the angles i shot these from were not my first choice. its hard to get up in trees or on top of boulders to get a more entertaining perspective when you are hopping around with one shattered ankle.

And still on the watermark portion.. The point isn't to make a picture more entertaining. the point is to show undeniable ownership without totaly covering the photo.
Whenever i shot pictures of a climber they are psyched to have a sample that they can use on facebook or there blog or wharever. And I shouldn't give up on that advertising opportunity just because its annoying for you to look at while critiquing my shots..
I dunno I'm not sold one way or the other with watermarks. I do appriciate your opinion even if you are in my opinion unnecessarily blunt.

If you decide to keep em atleast make em about a 1/4 of the size and hide em better so they dont get in the way of the picture

Most reactions

Back