First DSLR camera choice, Help me out please !

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Masquerade, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello fellow photography friends,

I am a noob when it comes to Digital Cameras. I would like to develop photograhpy as a hobby. I travel to interesting countries much. Like India, Nepal, Egypt and Africa. And I realized everyone has professional cameras. I felt like so much oppurtunities missed, because there were many moments to catch.

So as a graduation present and birthday present I am entitled to one.
    I am not sure but I can spend up to 2500 dollars MAX with the lense and all.
    I have been investigating for some time now and I got
    *Canon EOS 600D
    *Nikon d5000
    *Canon EOS 40D
    *Nikon D90

Sorry for the long post but what do you guys propose ?
    I am a noob/beginner anyd advice is useful thanks '!

2. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Furthermore I can not decide. These too sound appealing:
    *Nikon D300 or D300s
    *Nikon d80
    *Canon EOS 7D

Since this is my graduation present I can spend money and I want a lasting camera probably for many many years to come.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. iresq

iresq TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a Canon guy so I'd say 7D. You will find many Nikon people with their suggestion. Your buying into a system so in your research, make sure you include lenses and accessories. I'd start with google/youtube. DPR is a great site for reviews.

4. Johnnie

Johnnie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am also a Canon Shooter. Currently my camera of choice is the 7D. Remember, it is the system your purchasing into. Put them in your hands, get a feel for comfort etc. Good Luck with your choice.

5. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for your answers guys. However when I look to this: Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

And compare 7D with EOS 600D other than battery longevity I can not see why would I choose 7D. It is more expensive yet its screen dots are lower.
    Maybe its because 600 D has compact body ?
    thanks.

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I will not feed the Nikon-Canon-troll here ;)

- Also, I am no expert on the 7D or the 600D, but I suppose there are some larger differences between the two, some Canon geek should help here!
    [edit:] Just looked it up, the viewfinder of the 7D is on 100%, it has more than twice the frames per second and shutter speed is also doubled. You get what you pay for.
    - The number of pixels (screen dots?) does not mean much when it comes to image quality. All of today's dSLRs come with sufficient pixels for larger prints.
    [edit:] ok, just realised screen dots refers to the display ... does not really make much difference there

- If you travel, sturdiness and battery life are also key factors, keep that in mind.

7. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you.
    What do you think about Nikon d7000 ?

Furthermore Canon EOS 60D seemed better than 600D because 600 D has compact body meaning that I won't be able to develop and try various lenses in the future ?

I am torn between EOS 60D, 7D maybe 600 D and Nikon

8. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    So far, it seems you've mentioned just about every DSLR that has ever been made.

Maybe this info will help - Everything you need to know about buying a camera | The Verge

The difference between a shutter speed of 1/4000 and 1/8000 is just a single stop.

By the same token the difference between a shutter speed of 1/100 and 1/200 is also a single stop.

9. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Well I read and read but no matter how much you read there are dozen of choices, I would like to know what other people prefer with more knowladge. So my final choices were EOS 60D 7D and 600 D. These three are not the every DSLR that has ever been made are they ?
    anyways thanks for the answer

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Every d-slr ever made? I think he's trying to narrow his choice down to one out on only nine models, if my counting is correct...lol...

Too many choices, nine represents...one consumer behavior study that I read concluded that when confronted with more than three choices in a store setting, many buyers ended up buying....NOTHING!!!

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree speaking of doubling the shutter speed might be misleading in terms of the photographic consequences. nevertheless for me one stop is one stop, one stop which might be useful to someone.

12. Masquerade

Masquerade TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Canon 60D vs 7D
    Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000

All right this is the last deal. As Derrel mentioned my final choices are three but I wanna buy :) Nikon D7000, Canon EOS 60D and EOS 7D.
    It's a close call. Of course now I am heading out to mall to try them and see which one of them feels most comfortable.
    After this point its a matter of personal preferances. Please enlighten me !
    Thank you