First DSLR - D80 for $350?

JenKat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching various Nikon dslrs for a while, trying to find out which one would be best for me, for a decent price.

I've looked at the D40, D40x, D3000, D200, and now the D80. And I've found a D80 body for $350. Would this be a good deal for a starter camera? I wouldn't mind saving up for a D200, which is the model I have really been looking at.

But I would like to get a beginner one to start getting experience with, as I've never used a dslr other than playing with a store demo, or a friend's for a few minutes.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

I've got a D-80. LOVE it! Save up for the best glass you can get your hands on. I've been using a pair o' zooms; 35 - 200 and 205 - 400 (I think). Both Nikons. Just want somethin' a bit "longer", too.
Regards,
RD

I have used film for almost 50 years so the only digital camera I could recommend is the Nikon D3100. I just bought mine this month. I looked at digital cameras for over a year and had decided on the D5000. But after looking at the spects on the 3100 which are almost as good as the 5000. And the 3100 was cheaper:) I can still use most of my older lens, just will not have AF. But I do not use AF ofton, I mainly shoot sunsets and landscapes. The best price I found was at Amazon. Good luck.
David

Last edited:
I forgot to add as Roaddog said buy the best glass you can afford. And would love to have at least a 500mm for bird shots.

Thanks! I ordered the D80, and am excited to receive it. Of course I will be spamming TPF with pics when I get it. Lol.

I also ordered a 18-55mm VR lens from Adorama for under $100 for a starter lens. After that I thought I would probably get a 55-200mm, and a 50mm f1.8 maybe.. I don't want to start buying high-end lenses until I find out what exactly I really want to focus on.

I do have a couple people wanting me to do senior pictures for them this fall... Any lens recommendations?

I just got the d80 factory refurbished from adorama not even a month ago and I have been using it like crazy. Also my first SLR and I LOVE IT. I have yet to encounter a problem with it and it does well with noise (although there is room for improvement, I can't complain for the price). I also got the 50mm 1.8 (I read a hundred and one reviews on the f/1.4 and everyone that said they had the 1.8 and upgraded to 1.4 said they could hardly tell a difference and wished the had not spent the money. The 50mm f/1.2 is a completely different story if you can afford that one. And I also got a 70-300mm lens that is great to get started and I have got some great shots out of it. Here are some examples of both lenses taken on the d80 mostly unedited (slight crops & white balance only):

50mm:
DSC_3633.jpg

DSC_3495.jpg

70-300mm:
DSC_3341.jpg

DSC_2647.jpg

My only complaint is about the occasional hot pixel that shows up in some images. It is easily corrected in PP but I have not figured out why they appear randomly in some images and not in others. Overall, I spent about $1000 on the following and I cannot say enough good things about them:

Nikon D80 Digital SLR body
50mm f/1.8 Nikor lens
70-300mm f/4-5.6 nikor lens
Sigma EF-500 DG super speed light
MB-D80 Grip (and another battery of course)
Sunpack Ultra 7500TM tripod and head
Kata 123-GO-30 Sling Backpack
And some other goodies (filters/ cap leashes/ sensor cleaning kit/ etc...)

For the 3100 I would recommend the 35m f/1.8. Although its about 50sh dollars more, the autofocus alone is worth it if you just want to walk around with it.
Also, 35mm on a DX is a very desirable focal length, 50 on a DX tends to be a little close for me if I just plan on walking around.
Congrats on the the great buy!

congrats!
i hear the d80 is quite a beast...and with the in body focus motor, youve just opened up your options for glass that will AF.

rather than save for a d200, i would just get glass and then upgrade the body down the road when you truly grow out of the d80.

enjoy!

Seniors photos I would go witht he 85mm 1.8 it is known to be the best prime portrait lens made by nikon.

I've been looking at that one too. I do enjoy portraiture so I will most likely invest in the 85mm soon.

On a side note, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas... Lol.

Seniors photos I would go witht he 85mm 1.8 it is known to be the best prime portrait lens made by nikon.

I've been looking at that one too. I do enjoy portraiture so I will most likely invest in the 85mm soon.

On a side note, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas... Lol.

Don't worry everybody does when they run into some extra coin and are looking at new glass. I can't wait for my tax return!!

Lol. That's part of what I used to purchase my camera. As soon as I got it I blew most of it...

Next purchase for me will probably be an SB-600, or equivilent flash.

Most reactions

Back