First DSLR, Rebel XSI or D60?

JillTx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Posted this on equipment as well. Being new here and soon new to DSLR, I wasn't sure where to post. I am not to get a new camera and am unsure what to buy. Don't want to wish I would have bought something else in 6 months.

Always had Canon. I wanted a Rebel when my FIL told my DH all I needed was a S2IS, which is what I have now.Time for a DSLR.

I am mainly taking pictures of my kids, boys sports and girls dance and gymnastics. My needs are no delay and I need to get a great shot from the back of the auditorium to the stage. I would like to play and advance my skills, but I will never strive for professional quality.

Where should I buy? I am not opposed to used or refurbished, but was thinking maybe new for warranty, but not sure that matters.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Jill

If you are not opposed to buying a used camera, and your in the range for a Xsi brand new, then I would suggest looking at possibly a used D90. Between the D60 and the Xsi, I believe the Xsi is a tad better camera. However the difference is negligible, so I would say if you were deciding between those two only, I would base my decision on which one 'felt better' in my hands. Go to a bestbuy or something, they should have both cameras for you to hold and snap a few shots.

Also, if you werer choosing between those two, go with whatever you can find the better deal on. I have the D60, and I got it because I personally liked the design better, the buttons & navigation, and how it felt in my hands; plus I got an amazing deal with both of my lens's for $650. However now learning about the lens selection Cannon offers, I might have spent more time looking into their cameras. But I love my D60 and would suggest it to anyone.

Posted this on equipment as well. Being new here and soon new to DSLR, I wasn't sure where to post. I am not to get a new camera and am unsure what to buy. Don't want to wish I would have bought something else in 6 months.

Always had Canon. I wanted a Rebel when my FIL told my DH all I needed was a S2IS, which is what I have now.Time for a DSLR.

I am mainly taking pictures of my kids, boys sports and girls dance and gymnastics. My needs are no delay and I need to get a great shot from the back of the auditorium to the stage. I would like to play and advance my skills, but I will never strive for professional quality.

Where should I buy? I am not opposed to used or refurbished, but was thinking maybe new for warranty, but not sure that matters.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Jill

Check your local Best Buy for the D200 at 600 bucks. That's a steal new. Otherwise, what is your price range - cameras new and used vary so much you can't recommend something without knowing how much you're willing to spend.

Also in your search dont pay attention to the technical mumbo-jumbo: every camera out there from Sony to Nikon to Canon will take "great pictures." You're really looking for the "system" that best fits your needs.

If you are wanting to shoot plays from the back of an auditorium, be prepared to dump some cash! You'll need fast glass and a camera body good at high ISO. What is your budget? The cheapest high ISO performer is going to be the original 5D by Canon. The 5D mark II is better yet, but much more expensive. Then depending on how big an auditorium, get 85mm 1.8, 135L, or maybe even longer. Slow zooms aren't going to cut it. It sounds like you will be doing a lot of indoor shooting and I think a full frame camera (for less high ISO noise) might be best in the long run. Look at prices of used 5D's and see if it is within budget.

Most reactions

Back