First DSLR

crewsd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

New guy here, trying to get into digital photography more as a hobby. I'm going to Budapest, Hungary in late March-early April, and I want to rent a DSLR for that trip. I'm going to rent from BorrowLenses.com (heard good reviews of them, good customer service...) so that gives me a limited range of what I can rent. If you can suggest a better service, please do.

I'm planning on renting a Nikon D5000 for two weeks. That seems like a good beginner camera, and will be good when I get the hang of it too. I'm a little confused about what lens would be good, though. I'm thinking about this lens: 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6

Can someone offer me some help on this? Or steer me in a completely different direction, whatever is best!

Thanks!

I am not sure if I understand this.
You want to rent a camera you have no idea how to use for only 2 weeks?
How long will you have to practice with it? How much does it cost to rent the camera?
Seems like you would be better off buying a entry level DSLR, learn to use it before you go so you will be ready to shoot.

just my opinion...although the 18-200 lens would be a convenient, only need 1 lens answer... I am concerned about the 3.5/5.6 aperture. Indoors, you may have a problem with slow shutter speeds. Flash may not be allowed. You may want to consider 2 lenses that are a bit faster. Again just my thoughts...

I think it will be a great camera for you, it also does video if you need it. It has iso up to 3200 so that will take care of any low light situations, I would also bring a mini tripod. The lens will cover all your wide angle and telephoto shots.

Also check out purchasing a canon sx20is, it does not have interchangeable lenses but does have a zoom lens that will be the equivalent of 28-560mm.
It does high definition video and has a 12 megapixel sensor. It has great automatic settings as well as manual, shutter priority, and aperture priority. You can probably own this camera for what you would rent the other one for (around $350) and it takes great images and video and is easy to use.

I agree with the suggestion for the SX20. It's a lot cheaper than a DSLR but you can still shoot full manual.

If you really want a DSLR, I would look at getting a used one before renting one. I bought my 20D (Yes I know it's old) for about $400.00 and it does everything I want it to.

Thanks, and I'm only renting this just to see if I actually like it, if I can do it, so I don't buy a camera then end up not using it.

After some more research, and talking to a few of my friends, I think I've completely changed my mind again. It seems that the general consensus is that Canon is better for beginners as well as professionals. I'm thinking about the Canon EOS 500D/T1i. Would the Canon 18-200mm lens still be recommended?

Last edited:
After some more research, and talking to a few of my friends, I think I've completely changed my mind again. It seems that the general consensus is that Canon is better for beginners as well as professionals. I'm thinking about the Canon EOS 500D/T1i. Would the Canon 18-200mm lens still be recommended?

get new friends (friends don't let friends buy cannons).... just kidding.;)

for a once in a lifetime type trip, I would hate to see you fiddling around with your camera the whole time and not experiencing your surroundings. Then being disappointed in yourself or the camera when the pictures do not turn out the way you intended or expected. My suggestion is to buy/borrow/steal a very nice point and shoot- the cannon mentioned above is an excellent choice. I have taken some amazing shots with my Sony DSC H-5 PnS, almost exclusively operated on auto setting. My main word of caution on a point and shoot is stay away from digital zooming, it may look ok on the tiny LCD, but it will get very pixilated on your monitor or printout.

your top priority on any vacation is to enjoy yourself and relax. Picture taking is somewhere down the list. Don't let it run your holiday.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back