First edits using lightroom C&C welcome

It has to do with composition balance, scale, and dimension.

The scene you shot had more dynamic range than your camera could capture. Matrix averages the exposure of the entire scene, and had to underexpose the tower. The camera does not know what you are taking a photo of.

Center-weighted would have helped. A better approach would have been to make 2 exposures - 1 correct for the tower using Spot metering. 1 correct for the sky. - and then combine the 2 post process.
Lightroom cannot do that.
Another approach would be to make 3 exposure and use an HDR (High Dynamic Range) application to combine the 3 exposures. Deciding the range of exposure steps is done using Spot metering of several parts of the scene to be shot.
Doing an HDR well takes a lot of editing, usually going back and forth several times between the HDR application and Photoshop.

Last edited:
A better approach would have been to make 2 exposures - 1 correct for the tower using Spot metering. 1 correct for the sky. - and then combine the 2 post process.

Keith, don't you need a tripod to do this effectively?

Nice edit BTW.

It has to do with composition balance, scale, and dimension.

The scene you shot had more dynamic range than your camera could capture. Matrix averages the exposure of the entire scene, and had to underexpose the tower. The camera does not know what you are taking a photo of.

Center-weighted would have helped. A better approach would have been to make 2 exposures - 1 correct for the tower using Spot metering. 1 correct for the sky. - and then combine the 2 post process.
Lightroom cannot do that.
Another approach would be to make 3 exposure and use an HDR (High Dynamic Range) application to combine the 3 exposures. Deciding the range of exposure steps is done using Spot metering of several parts of the scene to be shot.
Doing an HDR well takes a lot of editing, usually going back and forth several times between the HDR application and Photoshop.

So I can't combine two shots in LR but could I use GIMP for something like that? I haven't tried it yet but I think I will end up using it to do the stuff Lightroom can't since I am just learning and don't have the cash to shell out on CS6. Thanks for the feedback all in all it has been very helpful.

One more question I had regarding the adjustment brush. Is there some trick to make it so I just get the tower when I am adjusting locally or do I pretty much just have to make it really small and color in the lines? Thanks again!

Yes. You could combine 2 images in GIMP or any other editing application that can do Layers.
Combine 2 photos using GIMP - Bing
There is a plug-in for Lightroom that can do Layers that is part of - Perfect Photo Suite Premium Edition 7

As far as integration and compatibility is concerned, a better solution would be software Adobe also makes like - Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

The size, feather, flow, and density of the adjustment brush can be changed there at the bottom of the Adjustment Brush panel.

With LR 5 open you can access online Adobe LR 5 tutorials by pressing the keyboard F1 key.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back