First Engagment pics, need some ideas

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I talked one of my friends into letting me shoot her engagement pictures. She wasn't planning on getting them done so I'm not charging her anything, just adding to my portfolio. The shoot will be in the morning (not as early as I like but its supposed to be partly cloudy so that should be fine), at a local picnic/park area. It will actually be at the park they plan on getting married. There are trees, a gazebo, playground, chapel area and stream. I'm hoping for some ducks too but I will have to see what's there that day. I also need to work in their 1yo son. If you have any ideas or pointers I would appreciate them. Thanks.

P.S. I have done weddings before (usually as a second shooter) but those are very different in my mind than this shoot, more flexibility and fewer distractions.

Last edited:
My advice would be to take pictures of the couple ;). Really though, If you talked them into it you should have the ideas already! It so completely depends on the couple, their personality, your style, the location, etc.

Shoot what you love, capture their personality, and have fun while you are doing it.

Good luck

google for ideas - i also peruse MM for idea jogging.

I do have some ideas, I guess i was just looking for something I hadn't thought of but should. I've googled and I've searched the forum and came up with some good ones, but it never hurts to ask.

my suggestion is.... dont shoot it at the SAME location as the wedding!

Because it can be very easy to just repeat, especially for someone starting out.

It's a big park and the chapel is just a small portion of it. I was only thinking if taking a picture of them separated in the pavilion and then together after the wedding. Does that make sense? The rest of the shots should be more fun than the wedding shots so not much duplication but I understand why that could be a problem.

My advice would be to take pictures of the couple ;). Really though, If you talked them into it you should have the ideas already! It so completely depends on the couple, their personality, your style, the location, etc.

Shoot what you love, capture their personality, and have fun while you are doing it.

Good luck
Absolutely this!! ^^^^

This is why the pre-shoot consultation(s) is/are critical to acheiving a quality result. Talk to them, ask them what they like, what they like to do, what they like about each other, how they met, hobbies, etc. All of those are potential ideas. Ask them if they have seen any pictures or poses that they like (you don't necessarily have to re-create them, but you can "borrow" from them).

Most reactions

Back