What's new

First ever black and white film. C&C please

Danmunro_nz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 27, 2012
Messages
116
Reaction score
18
Location
New Zealand
Hi TFP folks. Shot my first ever black and white film recently. Just got the negs back and scanned them. This is my favorite from the roll. Let me know what you all think. Anything I could improve or got right. Thanks. Shot with Canon 3000V, Tamron 28-105. Kokak BW400CN 35mm film.

$img503.webp
 
these C41 b/w films can be tricky to work with due to the amber mask. when you canned them (lol, typo), did you scan as b/w or as color? You should set your scanner to scan as a color negative to remove the mask.
 
Last edited:
Try a green filter for better skin tone. I would have liked alittle more light on the hair and face and maybe cropping a little.
Good tones though….
 
Looks like you tried to recover the shadow area being too dark because of the back lighting.
Not enough fill flash.

You have to watch out for extreme lighting conditions with portraits ... you have to be aware of what foreground/background objects will be highlighted too much.
 
Try a green filter for better skin tone.
A green filter will work on C-41 b&w film the same way as with regular b&w ?
 
^^^I see no reason why it shouldn't provided the "regular b/w" you're refering to isn't orthochromatic.
 
One thing that can dramatically improve your film photography is a good lab. Crap lab's give crap results. If you shoot mostly pictures of people, you should send your film to Richard Photo Lab in LA. I'm not exaggerating where you could be the worst photographer and they could make you look good. The color and tonality in their scanning is impeccable, To the point where if you always think you might have screwed something up and you think it was your fault, when really it's just bad scanning from a bad lab.
 
Sw1tchFX said:
One thing that can dramatically improve your film photography is a good lab. Crap lab's give crap results. If you shoot mostly pictures of people, you should send your film to Richard Photo Lab in LA. I'm not exaggerating where you could be the worst photographer and they could make you look good. The color and tonality in their scanning is impeccable, To the point where if you always think you might have screwed something up and you think it was your fault, when really it's just bad scanning from a bad lab.

Or do it yourselt at home, i'm getting good results developing c41 xp2 in Rodinal
 
^^^I see no reason why it shouldn't provided the "regular b/w" you're refering to isn't orthochromatic.
Just asking, I don't have any experience with BW400CN, so I am curious.
 
Thanks for the replies. I scanned it in black and white settings, I will try again in colour and see how it looks, will post once I have scanned it. The above image is as it come out of the scanner, no PP at all. If a recall I metered for the background and used fill flash. The lab I use does a pretty good job, the best where I live (there are only 2) I live in Dunedin New Zealand so sending my film to LA might be a out of the question.
 
Sw1tchFX said:
One thing that can dramatically improve your film photography is a good lab. Crap lab's give crap results. If you shoot mostly pictures of people, you should send your film to Richard Photo Lab in LA. I'm not exaggerating where you could be the worst photographer and they could make you look good. The color and tonality in their scanning is impeccable, To the point where if you always think you might have screwed something up and you think it was your fault, when really it's just bad scanning from a bad lab.

Or do it yourselt at home, i'm getting good results developing c41 xp2 in Rodinal
LOL I wish I could like this 1000x
 
I don't know anything about film, but I do love the picture even more if you could make the face appear a little brighter maybe. :)
 
Ive got a roll of 400cn ill shoot it over the next few week and give it the Rodinal treatment, but this is XP2 in Rodinal
Rodinal 1+25 19 minutes 7 inversion every minute fixing takes longer the ordinary B+W
img615-L.jpg
 
Ok, so i have re scanned the film, this time in colour negative settings. Slight change that I can see. Again I have not processed this in any way it is as it come from the scanner.

$img552.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom