First Ever HDR - C and C Please

I don't think you owe anyone here an apology.
True, you did come here asking for C&C therefore you put yourself out there.

However comments like this:

"Tell me why you would make an HDR of this scene."

Deserve an answer like this..... BECAUSE I WANTED TO.

I don't think you owe anyone here an apology.
True, you did come here asking for C&C therefore you put yourself out there.

However comments like this:

"Tell me why you would make an HDR of this scene."

Deserve an answer like this..... BECAUSE I WANTED TO.
LoL, THIS! Or this: Well, there are many reasons, but mainly because I felt like it.

It amazes me up when people ask for help and then critique the methods of the helper.

So here's a question to consider... if you were taking an art class... and you did something... and your professor said "Tell me why you would choose that method..."

How far do you think you'd get if you said "BECAUSE I WANTED TO!"?

I asked the question because I wanted to understand the reasoning behind it because it both makes the OP think about the reasons and because it helps frame how I would regard the work.

If his response was "I was just experimenting with the HDR process and wasn't worried at all about the composition", then I would point out technical ways to improve the process and that he could have chosen a scene that would have been easier to practice on.

OP didn't.

Here is the non-HDR version. Thoughts?

Honestly, I like it a lot better.

Like you said, it's no pro-story-telling shot, but it's memorable to you and this photo is more accurate to real life, which is what memories are all about IMO.

There is that. There is always the matter of what the shot says or does for the photographer who took it. In the end, if it's meaningful... awesome. I have TONS of shots of my kids that are borderline to horrible as far as photography are concerned but FANTASTIC for memories.

The difference is I don't show my train wreck kid snapshots up here on TPF.

_MG_5065.jpg

Is it the saturation i don't like? I can't figure it out, something to do with the colours.

When i have shot graves in the past i get a really shallow DOF on the grave i'm photographing - you should try opening the lens up a bit and see if you like what you get, it's a gorgeous grave and should be set apart from all the others because it's obviosuly sentimental to you.

I agree, not the proper use for HDR, but you can do anything you want, and do what you enjoy. Although, when you come to a photography forum and ask for C&C from other photographers, dont expect to hear negative remarks, (even though they are trying to help) when you use a technique in an improper way. I think with the proper settings, that photo would have been better in one exposure.

I don't think you needed to apologize either. I have little experience in HDR shots as well and I think getting experience is the best way to learn! And yes, the answer to "why would you take an HDR of this?" is because I felt like it, as others have said. Best of luck to you! :)

And yes, the answer to "why would you take an HDR of this?" is because I felt like it, as others have said. Best of luck to you! :)

And for someone who doesnt want to learn and come off as a douche bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back