First Ever HDR - C and C Please

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my very first crack at HDR. Thoughts? Comments? Any beginner tips for me?

This was 11 exposures.

HolderbeinHDR.jpg

An 11 exposure HDR and the highlights are still blown out. :thumbdown:

There's some BAD halo's around the trees and along the horizon too.

Keep working on it, it's not easy but it's fun :lol:

As I always say... before you do something, it's best to understand WHY you would do it.

Tell me why you would make an HDR of this scene.

I would do it because I wanted my first HDR to be memorable. Nothing more memorable than that gravestone to me.

How do I eliminate the halo's?

I can understand why you'd think "the" gravestone is important to YOU, but you have to think of others that have no clue as to who that person was, and the scene in general. It just doesn't scream "HDR ME" to an outsider.

1) 11 shots is not necessary for this scene. 5-7 max.

2) The program you use can dictate how you remove the halos.

I would do it because I wanted my first HDR to be memorable. Nothing more memorable than that gravestone to me.

How do I eliminate the halo's?

HDR is not "liquid memorable". HDR serves a specific purpose and if you don't have a good grasp on what that purpose is and how it is most effectively employed, then all you're doing is risking muddying up your pictures for no good reason.

What's more is that memorable pictures come mostly from composition... not from high dynamic range.

and the saturation is much too much for my taste.

This is a tecnique that takes lots of work and practice so just keep working.

what software are you using?

11 exposures? why? I think you have overdone it personally. 3 exposures would have been ample, as would have a singe well exposed shot. This shot didn't really need to be HDR. As an exercise in having a go, then that is OK. But as an example of great HDR it is not. It is not a case of doing as many exposures as you can and you will get this awesome picture. You only use more exposures if there is an extreme in the Dynamic range from shadow to light. Your attempt belies the fact that you do not really understand the process fully yet. But keep practising and learning and you will eventually understand how and when and why you use it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments that actually provide some help from some. Others who respond would be better understanding that some things are best left unsaid. Not every photographer is out to get the million dollar shot everytime. Perhaps you've lost sight of the fact that some photographs simple enjoy the ability to try new techniques even though they fully understand that they aren't a professional. The best for me to learn is through trial and error.

Yes, I understand that this is a 'critique corner' and you expose yourself to these things. That being said, the phtoography 'brotherhood' should also be about helping pick others up and carry them along to become the best that they can be, not to belittle them and tell them something, such as their lack of knowledge by comparison to yours, that they already know.

So thank you to those who actually took the time to provide me with some improvement techniques. Here is addtional reasoning:

- I did know that 11 exposures would be too much as there were not a lot of exceptionally dark or bright contrasting colours in this shot. I figured i'd take 11 anyway as i'd rather have too many than not enough to see what it would generate
- I used HDR Pro in Photoschop CS5 for this. I used the surrealistic pre-set and reduced the detail slightly. The rest was untouched in that pre-set.
- I did also take a 'correct' exposure of this exact same shot, which I can post if you'd like, but I was wanting to try a new technique and was excited about having the ability to capture HDR even knowing that the subject wasn't an ideal HDR candidate.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Sometimes those of us who are new to photography can sure be frustrated by the lack of support received on the internet world.

All I can say is that if you don't want thoughts and comments, then don't ask for them. You came here, it wasn't the other way around...

All I can say is that if you don't want thoughts and comments, then don't ask for them. You came here, it wasn't the other way around...

Fair enough. My apologies - woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Here is the non-HDR version. Thoughts?

_MG_5065.jpg

Looked to me like he thanked those with constructive input, then explained his reasoning. He didn't say a thing about not wanting thoughts and comments. This was a basic generic comment on a critique forum. To the OP. I wouldn't apologize for writing your thoughts and explaining them in a nice way.

I don't think you owe anyone here an apology.
True, you did come here asking for C&C therefore you put yourself out there.

However comments like this:

"Tell me why you would make an HDR of this scene."

Deserve an answer like this..... BECAUSE I WANTED TO.

I don't think you owe anyone here an apology.
True, you did come here asking for C&C therefore you put yourself out there.

However comments like this:

"Tell me why you would make an HDR of this scene."

Deserve an answer like this..... BECAUSE I WANTED TO.
LoL, THIS! Or this: Well, there are many reasons, but mainly because I felt like it.

Here is the non-HDR version. Thoughts?

Honestly, I like it a lot better.

Like you said, it's no pro-story-telling shot, but it's memorable to you and this photo is more accurate to real life, which is what memories are all about IMO.

Most reactions

Back