First ever photos (C&C) and a few questions!

EdMuju

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys - been lurking for a little while now, recently got my first ever camera (powershot SD1200) and have been voraciously reading everything I can find about photography. Although it fascinates me, I'm finding it really challenging! So, here I have my first few exposures (I know they're not all that good, but ANY tips/advice would be appreciated) and a few basic questions.

What I struggle with primarily is developing an eye for composition, so to speak - I know it's silly to think that I can learn this over a forum, but any basic tips in that realm would also be great.

Second on my list is that I'd like to be able to take some stunning landscape shots. I live in a mountainous area and the scenery is breathtaking. Every exposure I've taken looks flat, dull, lifeless and definitely does not provide the same sense of awe that I get when I look at other (good!) landscape photos. They have more colors, they're richer, and they look deep. Definitely could use some help in this area!

FlowerSmall.jpg

My first attempt at any sort of macro - one thing I know I screwed up is that I oversaturated it in photoshop. Something I'll avoid next time (I don't know how to go back and fix it, haha... also a PS newbie).

SunsetSmall.jpg

Took this one last night - I live in the mountains of South Korea, so there's some opportunity for some neat landscapes, caught this one as the sun went down. It's my favorite of the three, but I wish there were more colors, instead of just that intense orange. Any tips there, or is that a light thing?

PostApocalyptica.jpg

Finally an attempt at night photography. Shot at about 11 PM during an overcast full moon. A little grainy, but I kind of like it - it almost doesn't look like a photo.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Either with shot taking, artistry, technical stuff, or any PP work.

awesome job, i love that last in particular, that would look great hanging on my wall, i love the rundown look, im currently working on an "abandonment" project

I like the third 1 , it looks like a scene ripped out of terran badlands in the blizzard game "starcraft". It almost looks like a miniature model of it

The second pic is splendid. It reminds me of my childhood! Miss it!!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys - anyone have any criticisms or advice for landscaping, etc. from my original post?

/shameless bump =P

I like the third 1 , it looks like a scene ripped out of terran badlands in the blizzard game "starcraft". It almost looks like a miniature model of it

This is the second reference I've seen to this game in less than 24 hours. Never heard of it before. However when I look at Wikipedia the box cover looks vaguely familiar.

#1 try a different angle. you have a distracting pink sploch behind your subject.

#2. I like it. I was thinking to crop it tighter but I used my hands to do that and it didn't work.

#3. too much sky, there's no real subject.

Most reactions

Back