First Family Photoshoot

dab_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first paid shoot. It was very odd, I got there and it seemed like mom was already stressed with the kids. The shoot only lasted about 10 minutes before mom decided it was enough! Considering they paid my 50$ I was willing to give them an hour, but I figured that was her choice that she wanted to be done. The kids cooperated I thought. I couldn't get the little girl to smile, but their little boy was so photogenic.
It was VERY foggy, which I think worked to my advantage for the background. However, the family themselves aren't as sharp as I would've liked because of it.
Anyways, critique and comments would be helpful, considering I have two more shoots lined up :D

P1013649-1.jpg

P1013646-1.jpg

P1013643-1.jpg

The dad had a cold, so he kept squinting in every picture... and little girl wouldn't look in the the last sled picture. But overall, for my first family shoot ever, I think I did ok.

Your free to nit pick :)

You did okay,especially for a first-ever family shoot.

The photos look good for a first shoot. In all honesty, the mom was probably picking up on how you may have been feeling ( a little nervous and unsure? I know thats how i felt on my first couple of shoots )
Its SUPER IMPORTANT to build a little repoar with the clients first. Make them smile and laugh before you break out the camera (in our line of work, making the people comfortable is more important than being the most amazing photographer) and dont spend too much time reviewing your photos on the screen or adjusting the settings. Know your equipment well so you can adjust without looking and keep a confident smile on your face and keep them from thinking about how someone they just met is taking their photo. I'm sure you will master all these things as you keep doing shoots :)

Wow.. in Colorado is still so warm. It has only snowed maybe 3 or 4 times and all very light. It was 60 degree today, around 44 tomorrow, then it will be in 60s again Sunday an Monday.

21 in VA on monday...brrrrr
I agree, the fog could have been cool, pardon the pun, if it wasn't so thick.

Sometimes little kids don't look, run with it. Ask the mom to get the littlest ones looking at her! To me, dad's can sometimes be the hardest. They want the kids to behave and well sometimes more than mom, just are less vocal about it. If the photos are nice, they won't have to get new ones for at least 6 months, but moms and dads need every bit as much direction, if not more, than the little ones. They are cute no matter what.
Shortened version: Kids will be kids, and parents need to be told exactly what to do and let you take care of the kids looks.

Thanks for the comments everyone, very helpful.

I think it definitely could've been how I felt. I've always been good at macro and landscape and am just getting into people photography... and am having a hard time being confident with new people I'm shooting! I really need to work on that, I know.

Very nice start! My only comment in addition to those already posted is that for future reference, have your clients wear a colour other than black. Notice the way you've lost detail in the shirts and they sort of blend together in spots? It's a minor detail, but one to bear in mind.

What did you do? That was Viveza?

OP, snow can be tough to shoot in, which you didnt do too bad, it could be a bit brighter and whiter, and the last photo has a pretty heavy blue haze. Very cold.

What did you do? That was Viveza?
Yes Viveza2, OP... when I shoot snow, I set my exposure comp to +2/3 and shoot a patch of snow to use as custom W/B. It is very hard to shoot snow and come out perfect but the rest can be fixed. I think you did a very good job on the shots. Here is another one corrected, it is not as good as if I had the original file since it is so compressed. I ran it thru Viveza2 (NIK software) and then did a high def sharpening with CS5.
1130201991_DJXYx-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back