First gig!! Pls help!! Plus: does pro equipment make you a pro and opposite?

AlleyCat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so I have 2 questions:

ONE
I was approached by L'Oreal to shoot a small event for them - they're going to dye 2 contest winners' hair and they want me to take pictures of the whole process. Pictures would be put on their website + printed in a small-sized fashion magazine. The 2 winners' portraits would be replacing Eva Longoria in the company's newest campaign (in this magazine only). I suppose the guy producing this doesn't know much about photography since he told me he wanted "highest resolution pictures because it'll be printed in a A5-sized magazine". Thing is, a point-n-shoot camera alone can offer a damn good picture quality if requested print is A3 in size - hence I kinda figured he doesn't see into the whole thing. I've got a 60D - this is far from a pro's equipment, but the resolution of 18mpix would be enough for an A3-sized paper, let alone A5. So, resolution-wise, I think I'd make the cut, right?
Wait, there's more. I'm afraid I'll give a bad impression if I show up there with my 60D instead of a big fat-ass 5D Mk. I'd really hate to have some smart-a$$ from the production coming my way on the set telling me to go to hell with my toy camera. The given budget is quite small, but this is a huge client so I really don't want to screw up my image in front of them. What do you think? I'm quite confident with my 60D and my skills, but I'm afraid they won't think I'm professional without the "pro" equipment. People rarely attach photographers to good photos you know, it's always the camera that does it all... Have you ever been in a similar situation?? How did you cope with it???

just want to stress again that this is not a national/global huge billboard campaign. It's a small event when they dye 2 peole's hair & want pictures of that process to put in a local magazine to say "hey we did what we promised, we picked the winners and gonna replace Eva's face with theirs". Hence why they didn't call up a world famous photographer. Why they consider me good enough? Might be the same reason why they want to replace Eva's face - main target is to increase brand awareness & potential buyers, pictures & the prize comes in secondary.

TWO
Also, since it's my first gig and all, do you think a contract should be made? I mean...realistically, if nothing's in black and white, I can barely chase them later for payment if they decide not to, right? Do you give everyone contracts regardless of how big or small the amount is? I've been shooting new faces for modelling agencies for free (since they provided the models which I can test). Recently they've promised me (2 times) they'd start paying for the pictures, I was happy and all, but it's been a few months and I haven't received a dime. We've got a good relationship and they were basically the one who gave me a chance when I started out, let me test their models, so I didn't want to ruin it by demanding that they pay my shoots, judging I already shot many of their girls for free... I was wondering whether a contract for each shoot might do it, but it just sounds like such an extreme for me...What do you suggest? What are your experiences?

Last edited:
So last week you say you're a total newb, this week you have L'Oreal as a client? Yet, you have some decent images that you've posted over the last three years. Girl...you're all over the place. Shoot with the gear that landed you this client. Have you physically met with this person who's hiring you or is this done via email? Regarding contracts you're asking two things in one paragraph. If you're really shooting l'Oreal, yes, there should be a contract. As far as testing for model agencies, no, they don't have to pay you. The work you produce testing models generates business though bookers and marketers. I'll bet 5 Euros and a lemonade the day you show up with a contract asking to be paid for testing models will be the day you stop getting calls. I'm sorry if this is coming off snarky and condescending. I just finished reading Model Mayhem and the 11 "is this a scam" threads that generate daily. Something isn't adding up.

Good luck. Happy shooting.

$Trolls.jpg

3/8/12 >
Ok, so I'm a newbie. I've been shooting outdoors for a year and decided it was time for me to try the studio lighting.
in this thread..... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...tudio-whats-normal-whats-not.html#post2528602

And now you are shooting for a MAJOR outfit that has a LOT of long-time pro's with Pro gear that they work with all the time? Hmmmmm! Maybe this is real... and you are REALLY lucky! But I don't really believe in fairytales....

lets see... CONTRACT? Definitely! Equipment and liability Insurance, business license / LLC / Tax ID / .. Definitely! Does PRO equipment make you a PRO? NO!!!! But low-end equipment will make everyone that knows anything, think you are an amateur!

60D is kind of low mid-range, I guess... DPReview says " With the 60D Canon has unashamedly moved the X0D range out of the 'semi pro' bracket and instead focused on the enthusiast photographer looking to upgrade from their Rebel." Canon EOS 60D Review: Digital Photography Review

So last week you say you're a total newb, this week you have L'Oreal as a client? Yet, you have some decent images that you've posted over the last three years. Girl...you're all over the place. Shoot with the gear that landed you this client. Have you physically met with this person who's hiring you or is this done via email? Regarding contracts you're asking two things in one paragraph. If you're really shooting l'Oreal, yes, there should be a contract. As far as testing for model agencies, no, they don't have to pay you. The work you produce testing models generates business though bookers and marketers. I'll bet 5 Euros and a lemonade the day you show up with a contract asking to be paid for testing models will be the day you stop getting calls. I'm sorry if this is coming off snarky and condescending. I just finished reading Model Mayhem and the 11 "is this a scam" threads that generate daily. Something isn't adding up.

Good luck. Happy shooting.

Heyy I'm glad u like my pictures ^^Those were taken with a point & shoot, I tried to save money for a dslr but being a girl that liked shopping I only got one a year later :D :D

LoL, sounds nice doesn't it, L'Oreal and all :D :D only some things aren't as shiny as they seem, I'd love if it was!! It's a small competition on Facebook that they made to attract "like-ers". I doubt they'd contact me if it was some decent gig, but hey for me it's a big deal, considering I never had one. Besides, I bet I wasn't the only one they contacted, maybe the only one that asked for so little money they couldn't help saying ok to. It's a small event, why they consider me good enough? Maybe the same reason why they want to replace Eva Longoria's face with 2 random girls' faces - it's a small & not an important event.

And no, I'm not lying about myself being a noob - considering that after 2 years I only "celebrated" my 20th photoshoot last month, so "number of clicks"-wise, I do consider myself a newbie. Full time student with a part time job really doesn't leave room for much else unfortunately... I hope I'm not giving the impression like I want to lie or something, I just don't want to boast if I don't think I'm in the position or level I can boast about myself or my skills.

I always hear people saying tests are for free - not sure if that's the usual deal in the US/elsewhere, but where I live, agencies do pay for proper model tests. I actually get told off by some ppl in the branch for not charging - well, that's what you get for respecting the one that believed in u and not daring to ask for more than what's offered.

I appreciate your comments, I guess different countries have difference practices. We learn a new thing every day :)

Last edited:
And now you are shooting for a MAJOR outfit that has a LOT of long-time pro's with Pro gear that they work with all the time? Hmmmmm! Maybe this is real... and you are REALLY lucky! But I don't really believe in fairytales....
Well...I'd say it's a different story if they were shooting a national/global campaign, yes. But as I said, it's only a small event when they have 2 competition winners - basically just some documentary pictures + few portraits for a magazine that most people haven't heard of (not you guys in the US anyway) then I say they'd be crazy to call up Mario Testino. So sadly no, it's not as fairytale-ish as it sounds...

Does PRO equipment make you a PRO? NO!!!! But low-end equipment will make everyone that knows anything, think you are an amateur!

Ironic isn't it? Pro equipment doesn't make you a pro, yet somehow not having it makes you a noob! That's just sad... What happened to the belief "It's not the camera it's the photographer"? We photographers get so pissed when "normal people" dare praise the camera for the good pictures not us, but somehow we do tend to judge each other based on what gear our fellow togs are using. --> not complaining, just looking for the logic :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm having just a little trouble swallowing this. While I do not shoot major fashion myself, I have talked to one or two that do, and companies such as L'oreal do not generally hire unknown local talent (no offense intended) to shoot anything for them. How did L'oreal come to approach you?

I'm sorry, but I'm having just a little trouble swallowing this. While I do not shoot major fashion myself, I have talked to one or two that do, and companies such as L'oreal do not generally hire unknown local talent (no offense intended) to shoot anything for them. How did L'oreal come to approach you?

None taken :) Well, you got me there. I have no idea why they approached me either. Might be the same reason why they want to replace Eva's face with the competition winners' faces - main target is to increase brand awareness & potential buyers, pictures & the prize comes in secondary. In case you haven't read my posts earlier - just want to stress again that this is not a national/global huge billboard campaign. It's a small event when they dye 2 peole's hair & want someone to take pictures of that process.

First - i think they sent out an inquiry to more people than just me. I think I asked for too little money they couldn't resist.

Second - I receive inquiries in my inbox here and there, I have a page on facebook, and I've worked with some creatives in the branch...I'd say either they saw my work or someone recommended me perhaps..So far nobody called me to ask for compensation for recommendation so I don't know.

And finally third - I'd also be crazy to think that a brand like L'Oreal would go around scouting for new "shooters", but I guess it differs from country to country. Just like it's easier for some photographers to score gigs for Elle Vietnam/Vogue India than to get the same gig for Elle US/Vogue US. -- just what noticed.

Last edited:
As long as you are at it I need some help also. The White House called me and want me to do a shoot for the First Lady, What equipment should I take? :lmao:

Okay, so I have 2 questions:

ONE
I was approached by L'Oreal to shoot a small event for them - they're going to dye 2 contest winners' hair and they want me to take pictures of the whole process. Pictures would be put on their website + printed in a small-sized fashion magazine. The 2 winners' portraits would be replacing Eva Longoria in the company's newest campaign (in this magazine only). I suppose the guy

Does buying a race car make you a race car driver? But a race car driver might buy a race car!

producing this doesn't know much about photography since he told me he wanted "highest resolution pictures because it'll be printed in a A5-sized magazine". Thing is, a point-n-shoot camera alone can offer a damn good picture quality if requested print is A3 in size - hence I kinda figured he doesn't see into the whole thing. I've got a 60D - this is far from a pro's equipment, but the resolution of 18mpix would be enough for an A3-sized paper, let alone A5. So, resolution-wise, I think I'd make the cut, right?
Wait, there's more. I'm afraid I'll give a bad impression if I show up there with my 60D instead of a big fat-ass 5D Mk. I'd really hate to have some smart-a$$ from the production coming my way on the set telling me to go to hell with my toy camera. The given budget is quite small, but this is a huge client so I really don't want to screw up my image in front of them. What do you think? I'm quite confident with my 60D and my skills, but I'm afraid they won't think I'm professional without the "pro" equipment. People rarely attach photographers to good photos you know, it's always the camera that does it all... Have you ever been in a similar situation?? How did you cope with it???

People rarely attach photographers to good photos you know, it's always the camera that does it all... Have you ever been in a similar situation?? How did you cope with it???

Never had to cope with it.. I have never shown up on a professional level shoot with less than professional equipment. Mainly because I wanted equipment I could count on to work, no matter what!

Most people would not know the difference between pro gear and entry level gear! The thing is, those that DO know the difference... might be less likely to take you serious if you show up at a L'Oreal shoot with a Rebel or something similar! The ones that DO know the difference are usually the ones you HAVE to impress, also... with your work, your manner, your ability to work with others, and in difficult conditions (and yes, even the level of equipment you have) if you want to continue to work with them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back