first HDR, question about clouds

phogan22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is my first HDR shot, I'm still experimenting with trial versions of various programs, like Photoshop CS4 and Photomatix Pro, and I have to say that the Photomatix version is my favorite so far. However, I still wonder about why these dark shadows that don't really look natural at all appear over some of the darker parts of the clouds. It also happens occasionally on the highlights. Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks!
~Paul

3616492125_db0839236a.jpg

I know what you mean, but they weren't taken that long apart. Also, it doesn't look so much like the ghosting that I've found in other shots

I find photomatix tended to do this when across all of the source frames some data was still clipped. Could that be the case here?

It's hard to tell from the size, but it also looks like your exposures may not have been lined up right?

Thanks, I did check and the camera shifted horizontally very slightly in between shots. That is very probably the problem (also because I have a pretty cheap tripod :\ )It also happens occasionally in the brightest highlights, like if there's a particularly bright patch of clouds. Not sure if it's the same cause but I'll look into it.. Thanks!
-Paul

Maybe you just need more difference in the EV between shots...Just a thought. I'm not proficient with HDR (yet).

Try using a cable release to reduce the amount of movement between shots. They're so cheap, everyone should have one.

Most reactions

Back