First Inquiry into the World of DSLRs

Alright, looks like I'm most likely going to get the D7000, everybody seems to love it...Should I stick with the regular kits lens (18-105mm) and then later invest in a prime lens?

A kit lens is a good place to start. Once you take enough pictures, then you can look back and see what range you're using the most. Then you can start looking around for a good prime if you feel you still need it.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't gotten back in a while. So basically, I've pretty much decided on the D7000. However, recently the price of the body and 18-105mm kit lens went from $1,100 to $1,200. Should I still stick with the kit lens, or can I get something better (all around) if I get body separately for $900?

The 18-105 focal length is a very convenient range to have. Due the fact that it comes with the body at a relatively low price I would recommend this lens. You will probably find it has limitations when you learn a bit more and will want other lenses but this lens would always be a good "all around" or walkabout lens when you want to travel light.

Was at the same boat only few months ago.
It was the T3i vs the D7000.
The T3i is a good camera but the D7000 is better and I think well worth the price difference.
The added wheel for aperture and shutter speed is a great add especially if you are going to shoot in manual, in low light (hi ISO) the D7000 is the clear winner even though the T3i is still very capable in low light.

I say get the D7000, not only its the better camera but you want it and for a good reason :)

Good luck!

PS-I saw the price on the D7000 went up, there are lots of price differences with this camera, in one shop in my neighbourhood the price went from 1100$ to the D7000 with the 18-105mm to 1350$ and now it went back to 1100$ in less then a week.
I have the 18-105mm and its a good solid lens so I would recommend on getting it.

Haven't seen anybody recommend a D3100 (old model?), but I just got one last November for $500 w/ kit lens. Add on top of that another lens of your choice (longer zoom, macro, prime, whatever), and I walked out for $800 including all needed accessories. I've been quite happy so far.

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm happy to announce that a week ago I finally bought the d7000! Now...any advice on some books/videos that will help me learn the ins and outs of the camera?

Most reactions

Back