First IR Attempt - Get your bashing sticks out!

Cero21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

This is my first real attempt at post processing an IR photo. I have no idea what I am doing and I'm looking for any critique that you have as I am looking to improve. Ignore the white marks in the water (moving birds), because I will eventually edit them out. Bash away!

Original
1777400637_f2c332149a_b.jpg

Processed:
1778300916_ff846f17b8_b.jpg

Please tell about your IR set up. Film? Digital? Hot mirror removed? type of filter. SLR :thumbup:

This is obviously digital. Well done. To be completely honest, though, I'm so sick and tired of seeing willow trees in IR shots. I don't know why, but for some reason people shooting IR gravitate towards them.

Nice job really, I like the alterations to colour balance you've chosen and the composition works well. I've been using a digital infrared for a few weeks now and find it a lot of fun.

How did you change the color balance? Filters, hue and saturation, etc. Please explain your process. I can't seem to get my color to balance as nicely as this one turned out thanks

How did you change the color balance? Filters, hue and saturation, etc. Please explain your process. I can't seem to get my color to balance as nicely as this one turned out thanks

you really need to shoot in raw and then adjust for the look you want in a raw converter....I use adobe bridge, but there are plenty of others.

Very well, I shall commence the bashing.

*Bashes*

There! That's for doing such a good job! You make the rest of us look bad! :D

Great work!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm glad to see that you all like it.

To answer a few questions:
1) I used my E510 with my 14-42 lens - 20 sec f9
2) I'll try to explain what I did the best I can.

First off, I shot this in RAW and imported it into lightroom. Then I reduced the white balance to 2000 and adjusted the tint a bit to have a slight purple tint. From there, I went into photoshop and swapped the red channel for the blue and blue for red (channel mixer adjustment layer). I added a level adjustment layer on top of that to make the trees more white, bring out some blue and remove some red. At this point the photo had way too much of a bright blue tint. From there, I added a Hue/saturation layer, desaturated the image a bit to remove the blue from the trees, and adjusted the hue to a blue I liked. I also used shadow/highlights a bit to brighten up the right side of the image a bit but faded the effect so it wouldn't be too noticable. It took quite a bit of tinkering because I got it how you see it. It just takes a bit of patience. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm glad to see that you all like it.

To answer a few questions:
1) I used my E510 with my 14-42 lens - 20 sec f9
2) I'll try to explain what I did the best I can.

First off, I shot this in RAW and imported it into lightroom. Then I reduced the white balance to 2000 and adjusted the tint a bit to have a slight purple tint. From there, I went into photoshop and swapped the red channel for the blue and blue for red (channel mixer adjustment layer). I added a level adjustment layer on top of that to make the trees more white, bring out some blue and remove some red. At this point the photo had way too much of a bright blue tint. From there, I added a Hue/saturation layer, desaturated the image a bit to remove the blue from the trees, and adjusted the hue to a blue I liked. I also used shadow/highlights a bit to brighten up the right side of the image a bit but faded the effect so it wouldn't be too noticable. It took quite a bit of tinkering because I got it how you see it. It just takes a bit of patience. Hope this helps.

Thank You that is very helpful

Most reactions

New Topics

Back