First L series lens question

WlknDtPt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys!

I've been agonizing over what lens to get for some time now and thought I'd ask around and see what you all think.
Some background - I've got a canon rebel xti and I've been shooting for several years now. I'm in art school and I work for several wedding photographers, but because of a small budget (and the better equipment I get to use through the photographers I work for) I've never gotten the chance to upgrade.

Within the next year, I want to buy a 1D Mark III, but right now I'm just looking into getting my first L lens. I'm leaving for an internship in Europe and will be shooting a lot, so I'm contemplating getting an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L US, which I feel will be pretty versatile and has gotten great reviews. Do any of you use this lens on a canon rebel? I've heard it's fairly heavy and I want to make sure it'll be completely compatible with my camera.

Thanks for any advice!

The 24-70L is my first L and I love it. I have several other lenses that are quite capable , but tack sharp pics are much easier with the 24-70.
I use it on 30D & 40D and it is indeed Heavy, but well worth the weight.
Matter of opinion but I love this lens.
The 'sweet spot' exists in a wide range if apertures and focal lengths.
Cost n weight - worth it

My first L lens was the 70-200 f/2.8L IS mkII, but I already had an excellent crop-friendly mid range zoom already (the 17-55 f/2.8 IS). the 24-70 doesnt go terribly wide on a crop body, but IQ and longer range are good. Also look into the 24-105 f/4L IS as another option if you don't need f/2.8.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens Review

The 17-55 is NOT an L lens, and since it's an EF-S, it will not mount to full frame bodies. Something to keep in mind regarding your future upgrade considerations.

Everyone is partial to whatever lens they have purchased, but with that being said, I purchased the 24-105L to go with a rebel xti. Now I have a 5dmkII and love the combo. The only "regret" is that I would have gotten the 24-70 because I am mainly shooting indoors and the 2.8 would be better for me. If you're "mainly" shooting outdoors and want more versatility before you can buy a few of the L series Primes, I'd go with the 24-105. I also have the 70-200 2.8IS and it's FAN-Tabulous!, but it's a commitment to bring that puppy out to play!

Most reactions

Back