First Light Wharf Shot

kenny44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys - great community you have going here - very informative :)

Heres a shot I took last Saturday morning, around 6am. This shot has NOT been altered in photoshop in any way. What you see is what was printed.

10-low2.jpg

Please post any thoughts - as long as they are constructive! :)

Cheers,
Ken

hi ken,

good to have ya onboard, welcome to the forum! Its lovely shot. Just a couple of questions:

1. How long was the exposure?
2. What gear do you use?
3. Do you remember any other details from this shot.

Its funny, i've noticed my digicam capture metal in the the morning red in colour - i am not sure if this is in camera or light play in the morning the morning (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/vonnagy/day/fencitoto.jpg)

The colours are lovely, the setting looks like it could be around my neck o the woods where did you take the pic?

Awesome shot. Was it windy when you took that shot ??? ALmost looks like there is blur in the clouds. I like the composition and the colors. Very cool shot 8)

Vonnagy : Yeh I live in Torbay on Aucklands North Shore - you;re pretty cloes I think arn't you?

Exact details of the shot escape me as I was still half asleep - exposure would have been around 15 seconds i think.

I use a Canon EOS 50 with a 28-80 Canon USM, also have just purchased a Tamron 75-300. I used the 28-80 for this shot.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Ken

That is a gorgeous shot, it rekindles a bit of faith in my canon set up after a few rolls of so so photography. I wish I had something that pretty to take photos of round here! (UK).

I would however have been interested to see a shot where the base of the image is less dark.

Just a thought

I am truly awe-struck. I love the pick. Can't fault it. I like the dark at the bottom - adds to the feel - I love the clouds (I would have accused you of altering them if you hadn't said otherwise) - perfect.

vonnagy said:
i've noticed my digicam capture metal in the the morning red in colour - i am not sure if this is in camera or light play in the morning the morning

When the sun is low in the sky the light has to travel through more of the atmosphere, and the end of the spectrum towards the violet doesn't make it, leaving the red end. As the sun rises in the sky it gradually cools to the yellow-white of the mid day.

On the same point, IR penetrates haze very well. Mountains and cityscapes that are hidden from view by haze can still usually be photographed clearly using IR methods.

This is very, very beautiful. I like it because of the color coolness overall, with that shot of red being the single largest warm note. It's awesome. Love it for the secondary (to me anyway) aspects as well, your composition and the cloud formation you captured. Beautiful scene. :D

But I'll say again, what struck me immediately was that this shot captures the primary colors - notes of blue, the vivid shot of red, and the hint of warm yellow in the background. Subdued and subtle, but it's there. It's quite a thing of beauty! Great work. :thumbsup:

vonnagy said:
The colours are lovely, the setting looks like it could be around my neck o the woods where did you take the pic?

The second I saw this pic I thought "This looks like Vonn's kinda lighting!" And since there is nothing entered in your "location" field, I was gonna ask that question, but Vonnagy beat me to it!

Ok, so this is awesome fantastic beautiful. Now when is the next flight to NZ?

Most reactions

Back