First Maternity Shoot Questions :)

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! A friend of mine asked me to do shoot some maternity photos of her. While I am doing these for free and for fun, I would like to do a good job as well. :)

I have shot a couple of weddings so I know how to use my DSLR and the basics of photography, but I have not done a maternity shoot before. I want to expand my skill-set while helping out a friend.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give or videos or blog articles to read and watch?

Hope you all have a great Holiday season!

Save a list of poses you can reference, take charge and make them happen. Do not rely on the mom to be to be a trained model who knows how to pose and has anything in mind.

I would go to a fabric store and buy some Lacy, see-through fabric. You can use this to wrap around the upper body of the mother .

I would go to Pinterest and find some good examples that you like and load them onto your phone so you have an idea of some poses that you want to do. I would take brainiacs commentary to Heart... do not assume that the pregnant woman has any idea of what she wants, and you will not be on the hook, but instead you will be able to provide her with guidance and suggestions.

Thanks a lot! So, should I ask her to find some poses she likes and send them to me so I can learn her style?

Ask her to put together a Pinterest board and share it to you

20191224_182224.jpg
20191224_182201.jpg
20191224_182144.jpg
20191224_182117.jpg

The photos with the dress were made with the 45 mm F / 2.8 Nikkor P, which is only one of two Nikon manual focus lenses that were equipped with a factory CPU. These were all shot on location in her small apartment living room, using outdated Speedotron Brown Line flashes. These are screen captures of the very few maternity photos that I have on my phone.

Last edited:
Hello! A friend of mine asked me to do shoot some maternity photos of her. While I am doing these for free and for fun, I would like to do a good job as well. :)

I have shot a couple of weddings so I know how to use my DSLR and the basics of photography, but I have not done a maternity shoot before. I want to expand my skill-set while helping out a friend.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give or videos or blog articles to read and watch?

Hope you all have a great Holiday season!

Kokomo, don't be afraid to go out of the box and be bold and edgy and create art!
Careful with letting your friend hold you back because that's all she found on Pinterest.
Pregnant bodyscapes are beautiful too!!
Shoot half of hers and half of yours.
RiiriiOnTable1IG.JPG
Good luck
SS

Totally agree with Derrel's suggestion about fabric and lace. Totally agree with getting the client to identify examples of stuff she likes--this is CRITICAL. You see, concepts you may think are great she may go "you made me look so fat!" Or things you're kind of "meh" about she may feel are really moving to her. Does she want her partner in any of the poses? You really must get aligned with the client about expectations for the final result. And she probably can't tell you. So ask her to identify stuff she likes. And you identify ideas she can react to and go "uh--no!" or "wow--yes!". For instance, if she's pregnant, she'll be bustier. Some women love shots that emphasize that. Some love shots that show a lot of skin (so a fully exposed tummy, or even a demure nude). Others don't want to look fat but want something that captures the tenderness and love of carrying a child.

Most reactions

Back