First newborn shoot! 11 Photos

KatieBarfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please let me know where I can improve. thanks! Im a beginner and need tips and advice!

20090417_455.jpg

20090417_444.jpg

20090417_454.jpg

20090417_467.jpg

20090417_482.jpg

20090417_482.jpg

20090417_491.jpg

20090417_548.jpg

20090417_564.jpg

20090417_571.jpg

20090417_592.jpg

I am a newbie myself so I can't offer much in the way of advice. But 1, 7, and 9 are my favorites!

What is your setup here?

Setup? like background? If so, I was actually at her own home and I used a black sheet draped over a laundry rack haha Im very new, no special professional photography stuff, although I actually dont believe you need all that stuff to make a great photo! =D

Setup? like background? If so, I was actually at her own home and I used a black sheet draped over a laundry rack haha Im very new, no special professional photography stuff, although I actually dont believe you need all that stuff to make a great photo! =D

No not the backdrop, but equipment wise. I agree that there is a bare minimum in regards to what you can achieve with a camera. Reason I ask though, is that quite a few of those shots look a bit TOO soft. What equipment were you actually shooting with?

A Canon Rebel ef-s 18-55 IS, I have just been shooting on auto. Im not confident enough to go manual or any others =D I would like some advice though!!! I just bought this camera last tuesday. So im REALLY new at SLR cameras.

how did u get he pink to show up on the b & w. i use adobe photo elements 7 but u can always tell when its edited

Those baby pics are so cute.:D I really do want to have a baby brother. Hope, my mother will grant it soon. If I already have one, I'll also take different shots of him.

how did u get he pink to show up on the b & w. i use adobe photo elements 7 but u can always tell when its edited

I use PaintShop Pro... I just use the lasso selection tool. Select what you want to be in color, then go to selections on the top tool bar and click invert and it will automatially select the big picture and also what you want to be in color will be selected. Then when you hit invert go and change the photo to black and white! =D I hope this helps even though its diff. programs. :D

Most of them look a bit underexposed and soft. You can also see wrinkles in he black material.

Most of them look a bit underexposed and soft. You can also see wrinkles in he black material.

Well, how can I fix that? I just used the auto setting. Im trying to learn more about the camera thats why im asking for advice. I cant see the wrinkles, maybe im blind lol Maybe the one your talking about is #3 where she is kind of grasping the material. Thats the only one i can see. Thanks!

I think these are very good, especially for your first go at baby pics. Some tips I have would be to help the baby tuck a little more. By that I mean puts the baby's arms & legs under her slightly. That way she doesn't look so sprawled out. This would work especially well on pic #4.

On pic #1 - love the pink bow! I would shoot it from her side a little more so that her head doesn't look huge next to the newborn body.

On pic #5 - I like it how it is. How about adding the parents hands by making a heart shape around her feet. Have them on either side of the baby & touch thumbs together for the top point of the heart & pointer fingers for the bottom. Otherwise, having them cup their hands under the baby's feet looks nice too. I try to get the wedding rings in there too.

I like the idea on pic. #8. #9 is really pretty - maybe a bit dark.

Other shots that I like - if dad has a good chest have a naked baby craddled in dad's arms (shirtless dad). Up to you whether to include his face or not.

Mom holding baby with left hand on head & back & right hand on baby's hind end. Baby is slightly off to left side. If dad is tall enough he is behind & slightly off to mom right side. Have both look down at the baby.

Hope this helps!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back