First Newborn Shoot.

Broni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
Here goes I am absolutely passionate about photography and I am pretty certain I want to do portrait photography possibly newborn but I want to try everything first. Here is a couple of images from my first newborn shoot. I welcome constructive criticism. I am still learning but having a lot of fun!!
$Scarlett.jpg$_DSC7773.jpg

The first one is super sweet, something is missing from them though, but maybe that's just because I'm used to seeing newborn shots being overly processed. I prefer the softer lighting in the first one, as the second one is a bit harsh.

Beautiful! I agree the first one is definitely best. The second one is also gorgeous but something is not quite there, I think that pink headband in the second one needs to go. What was your set up and settings?

The first is nice and soft lighting which I think is ideal for newborn but the black and brown are not doing it for me. Two separate kind of busy if you will textures clash I think. Try a more solid simple blanket if you're doing the crochet on baby or vice versa I think.

Highlights are too bright on both images... and it looks like focus was on the knitted blanket or whatever.. not the eyes. The blanket is sharper than the eyes....

And please learn to resize and web compress your images... there is no need to post a 2000+ kilobyte file

Last edited:
I like the first one the best.I have to agree with the resize the image.I viewed it full size and good god, I had to scroll up and down,left and right to view the whole image.Adorable baby.

I thought I saw some perspective distortion in #1 so I checked Exif:

Exif for #1

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...9d1373251980-first-newborn-shoot-scarlett.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,351 KB
Creation date: 6/24/2013 10:38
Last modification: 7/7/2013 21:35
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D3100
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Dimension: 3425 x 2490 px (8.5 MP)
Focal length: 18 mm (equiv. 27 mm)
Aperture: F3.5
Exposure time: 1/25"
ISO speed rating: 1600/33°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Manual
Flash: Flash did not fire

Shooting people at 18mm is NOT a good idea... Perspective Distortion

Thank you to everyone,
@ Sarah:My set-up was in my Lounge room with natural light coming through a large window behind camera. settings I see cgipson has covered that for me :p
My post processing skills leave a lot to be desired I know that. (about to start a unit on that subject).
I am currently looking into some lighting options but I am doing these shoots for free and on limited funds for the time being.
@cgipson When I look back at the original I see what you mean about perspective distortion.
This was All very helpful I take It all on board Thankyou so much!!
Broni

ok so here is a picture I took of my son I personally love it but I am biased of course.
Any tips on how I could improve?? I intentionally have it darker I just liked the way it looks.
$DSC_8121.jpg

Most reactions

Back