First Observations on the 72" Umbrella

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by smoke665, Nov 14, 2020.

1. smoke665

smoke665 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm hoping that between the big umbrella high I can take the Eyelighter to get that painterly glow on the iris and not the specular highlight.

Love my PB gear and the folks there. Always a pleasant experience in d3aling with them

2. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those are artistic decision, no right or wrong. It's what makes our style.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I may offer some feedback, here is what I notice.

The first shot shows a catchlight that has a hotter centre, this is due to your strobe placement and/or the reflector emitting the light into the umbrella. One option is to place your strobe further out on the rod so the flash illumination fills the umbrella surface. If this isn't possible a wide angle reflector or specifically an umbrella reflector generally has a wider angle to project the flash.

I'm assuming you mean the second shot is softer as in the overall light characteristic rather than actual acuity of the image? The difference you are seeing, as I am, is due to the proximity of the light to the subject, closer and larger means softer, further away means smaller and more contrast. However, as you noted when you get in close with the light source the inverse square law demonstrates the head fur is brighter than the fur around her shoulder. She is a real sweetie though.

Not sure if I understood you getting the diffuser on the umbrella but FWIW, here's how I do it. Take the umbrella collapsed and stand it on the pointy end. Holding the shaft start opening it up a bit, then slide the diffuser over the rod and let it drape over the edges of the umbrella. Then open the umbrella by placing your hand through the strobe opening, keeping the umbrella standing on the pointy end. As it opens the edges of the diffusion catch on the edges of the umbrella skirt and Bob' yer Uncle, it all falls into place and when fully opened the diffusion is in place. It may take a bit of practise but this is way easier than trying to fit it like a elastic bed sheet. YMMV.

4. smoke665

smoke665 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    @JBPhotog the first shot was without the diffusion cover and as you suggested was probably slid up a little closer team it should have been. I didn't have much time to experiment, something I intend to do soon.

The second shot was with the diffuser sock on and the light moved closer.
    I didn't have an issue installing the sock, but I'll definately give your method a try. My problem was folding it back up to go in its pouch. It's like one of those $#%&/(, fitted sheets, no square corners, nothing folds right. LOL

5. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I look forward to your tests.

Ah yes folding it up, I tend to fold it like a round table cloth which seems to work. I end up with a pie shape then keep folding until it’s small enough to store.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrca

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's like getting a down comforter into a duvee cover if you don't know the technique. Like setting up the 7' octa, its not called an octa because of 8 sides, but because it's like wrestling with an octapus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mrca

Photos NOT OK to edit

Adam, non photographers don't notice the ribs because they view prints at the appropriate distance one to 1.5 times the diagonal instead of what we photographers do, the length of our nose.