First off camera flash - CC please.

Katier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
3215637716_4666fa0b6a.jpg

'Self Portrait', taken fully manual with a Pentax K110D triggering a Nikon SB20 off camera via a PC cord. Flash running with a very tight snoot (made out of cardboard) and on about 1/4 power.

That is a light spot more than it is a hot spot. Still plenty of detail there.

As for the overall shot, I think it would have a bit more hint of mystique and sensuality if you were able to throw the background completely to black.

Although, now that I look at it, I'm not completely 100% sure of what I'm looking at.

It's technically alright but the subject doesn't really tell you anything - as an observer I'm not really interested in finding out more because as ANDS! said, I'm not completely 100% sure of what I'm looking at. Zooming out a bit more might help, as would some expression of the body rather than just sweat.

That is a light spot more than it is a hot spot. Still plenty of detail there.

As for the overall shot, I think it would have a bit more hint of mystique and sensuality if you were able to throw the background completely to black.

Although, now that I look at it, I'm not completely 100% sure of what I'm looking at.

Interesting point about the background. I relied purely on the default non-flash exposure being badly under exposed.

The 'light spot' is an interesting observation, maybe worth fireing the flash through a paper or similar ( I used a improvised snoot as it is ) to soften it/difuse it a little?

I think that softer light would be better in this situation, so yes, shooting though fabric or something might be a good idea.

I think that softer light would be better in this situation, so yes, shooting though fabric or something might be a good idea.
I agree...softer, more diffused light might work better for this type of shot...but it will mean more of the subject might be lit up too (not sure if you want that or not).

I agree...softer, more diffused light might work better for this type of shot...but it will mean more of the subject might be lit up too (not sure if you want that or not).

No I did want some mystery by not lighting the whole frame, not sure if that worked well but that was the intention. I had the flash heavily snooted but it's possibly that's what caused the lightspot and hence should have diffused it a bit too.

Diffused light won't be as bright and fall-off would be shorter so the sense of mystery might still be possible. It would light the curves of the body nicely.

I think it's back to the left bottom to the right

oh!! i thought it was an arm but it looked to masculine and it says "self portrait", lol. :lmao: i can see it now.

hehe yes it's my back from just before my bum to my armpit.

hehe yes it's my back from just before my bum to my armpit.

lol, oh! i thought your back was where the light was and ur bum was in the pic from the side in the dark areas. sorry, i guess im a little slow :blushing:

Most reactions

Back