First outting with a DLSR c&c

Esposa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all these photos are of an old abandoned tool makers, I had literally got the camera an hour before these shots were taken so they are a complete noobs efforts :lol: I used Apature to take the shots with an ISO 400 and white balance auto.

Comments and Critisism welcomed, I have tough skin and I am here to learn :D

3003597972_6ba296a344.jpg

3003592606_cc3fa22733.jpg

3002769391_c73fe93340.jpg

3002770279_f28e71c307.jpg

None of the above photos have been edited in any way I am still trying to get to grips with photoshop.

I think the first and second ones have great potential for being incredible shots. I am also a newbie so I am just telling you what I think I would have done a couple things differently---but again, I am a newb also so I am open to have my critique critiqued hehe!

#1- I think its a little too bright. It would look really cool if you could somehow enhance the reds in the brick. I would also mess with the contrast and maybe turn it into B/W because I feel as if the objects on the ground are a bit distracting

2,3 & 4 don't really do anything for me. I always try to imagine pictures that I would potentially hang on my wall, and neither of them really tell ME a story. They are a little too busy for me but while they are busy, they aren't giving me a sense of something going on. I hope this makes sense!

they need more color to them everything jsut has no tone just looks bland

#1 & 3 have some interesting lines to them, but both need a bump in PP to bring out their potential.

#2 would have been much better in portrait orientation and have the whole door. As is, it looks like reference photo for a renovation to the building.

The PoV in #4 is rather boring, although your subjects have potential.

None of the above photos have been edited in any way I am still trying to get to grips with photoshop.
This may be a reason to change you status to allow others to edit your photos........ at least until you get a handle on it. Unless there's a need for demonstration, it's always a good idea to edit your photos prior to posting. You'll see.....

Thank you all, will change my status now. When I joined I didn't know what it meant really.

I really don't have a clue as far as photoshop goes, and jut haven't had them time to learn the last few weeks. I have stored some tutorials and promised myself hubby and kids can fend for themselves at some point and I will have a few hours with PS :)

hmm I suggest making 3 in Black and white. I think it would suit it better.

check the settings on your camera to ensure you are shooting in Adobe RBG and not sRBG or some equivalent.

I found at first mine was set by default to sRBG (which has a lower number of tones I guess) and when I set it to Adobe RBG, it had a much wider selection of colours and made them more vibrant.

I read somewhere that its like colouring with a box of 8 crayons vs a box of 64 crayons. You get the right colours, but in the box of 64, you have a much wider choice of crayons to colour with. :)

Revisit #3. And get rid of the black telephone. Everything else (aside from the bright spot) has an old timey sense to it. Get in tighter, see what else you can do with it. I dig it though.

they need more color to them everything jsut has no tone just looks bland

I kind of like the blandness given the subject matter. It goes along with the theme. A place once bustling with activity, now abandoned and forgotten. I don't think "vibrant colors" when I think of an old abandoned factory.
I especially like #2.

First, I'd like to know where you got a DLSR? I want one!

I think you already got great CCs. The pictures are really great, I thought focus was good. Here are my thoughts on the pictures:

1. I think the picture is a bit too cool. Maybe some WB issue. Also, the middle where the windows are looks blown.

2. I would probably crop the picture so that the open door with the ladder is to the left and is put on the 1/3 part of the frame. Suggest maybe reading rule of thirds.

3. Top right corner is blown. I agree with playing around to convert it to black & white.

4. I would focus more on the subject and again using the rule of 3rds. You could up the exposure a bit.

I played about with the last photo and binned it with more coloursit lost all its atmosphere of the building. Unfortunately I can't go back an reshoot any of the photos the building is now under demo so isn't safe at all.

Looking atmy handbook to check if I am using adobe colours though :) and I had already played about with the exterior shot and made it either b&w or sepia will find it and post.

Then I will be going to read the 3rds rule and start editing some.

3003933732_d68d368362.jpg

I would like the windows to look less ghostly but I think its out of my limits for the time been.

Most reactions

Back